Hacking 1st time hacking PS3 - Need some help

XaneTenshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Hey guys
So I am new to PS3 hacking (but not hacking in general, I have a hacked Wii U and a hacked Switch), and since I recently went back to playing some PS3 games, I thought that it might be fun to finally try to hack my PS3 aswell.

I have a PS3 Slim (3K model I think) on OFW 4.82 and have done some research on what I can do. I want to install PS3HEN to enable Homebrew and was hoping to use this guide here: https://www.psx-place.com/threads/tutorial-ps3hen-the-great-ps3-hen-all-in-one-guide.24369/ however I have som questions before I start on this tutorial.

The tutorial seems to be for 4.86 and requires installing Hybrid Firmware in order to install HEN. I don't want to do that right now.

Do I absolutely have to update to 4.86 and install HFW to follow that tutorial, or can I simply go ahead and install PS3Hen (step 2 and onwards), since HFW only seems necessary if you are on 4.84+?

Do I lose any hacking opportunities if I update to 4.86?

What happens if I do the guide on OFW 4.82 and later decide to update to 4.86?

Is there anything else that I need to know before doing this?

Please do point out if I have missed something here, like I said, this is my first time hacking my PS3.

Last edited by XaneTenshi,

RaptorDMG

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys
So I am new to PS3 hacking (but not hacking in general, I have a hacked Wii U and a hacked Switch), and since I recently went back to playing some PS3 games, I thought that it might be fun to finally try to hack my PS3 aswell.

I have a PS3 Slim (3K model I think) on OFW 4.82 and have done some research on what I can do. I want to install PS3HEN to enable Homebrew and was hoping to use this guide here: https://www.psx-place.com/threads/tutorial-ps3hen-the-great-ps3-hen-all-in-one-guide.24369/ however I have som questions before I start on this tutorial.

The tutorial seems to be for 4.86 and requires installing Hybrid Firmware in order to install HEN. I don't want to do that right now.

Do I absolutely have to update to 4.86 and install HFW to follow that tutorial, or can I simply go ahead and install PS3Hen (step 2 and onwards), since HFW only seems necessary if you are on 4.84+?

Do I lose any hacking opportunities if I update to 4.86?

What happens if I do the guide on OFW 4.82 and later decide to update to 4.86?

Is there anything else that I need to know before doing this?

Please do point out if I have missed something here, like I said, this is my first time hacking my PS3.

Since PS3HEN 3.0.0 OFW 4.82 is no longer officially supported so you will probably need HFW

You don't lose any opportunities by updating.

You'd likely need to set it up again but I'm not sure

Reactions: XaneTenshi

XaneTenshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
You do whatever you feel like. The risk of bricking on PS3 are relatively low.

I suggest you check out MRmario tutorials on youtube.

Thanks for the reply. I actually found his PS3 hacking tutorials on YT yesterday and was planning to check one out before I did this. Thanks for reminding me XD

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Since PS3HEN 3.0.0 OFW 4.82 is no longer officially supported so you will probably need HFW

You don't lose any opportunities by updating.

You'd likely need to set it up again but I'm not sure

Thanks for the response. So, assuming I need HFW, I should just go ahead and update to 4.86 OFW and then install HFW right?

Also, I can't actually run "true" CFW, can I? That's only for consoles on 3.56 or earlier FW right?

Can I run PS2 backups using HEN?

RaptorDMG

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the response. So, assuming I need HFW, I should just go ahead and update to 4.86 OFW and then install HFW right?

Also, I can't actually run "true" CFW, can I? That's only for consoles on 3.56 or earlier FW right?

Can I run PS2 backups using HEN?
Yes, from that point you can follow the guide you posted to install HFW

You can run a tool called minvercheck to see your minimum firmware and if it's below 3.56 your good but I think that was only on consoles up to the 2500 versions

In part 4 of the guide you linked it explains how to do that

Reactions: XaneTenshi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y