Hacking 1st time hacking PS3 - Need some help

XaneTenshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Hey guys
So I am new to PS3 hacking (but not hacking in general, I have a hacked Wii U and a hacked Switch), and since I recently went back to playing some PS3 games, I thought that it might be fun to finally try to hack my PS3 aswell.

I have a PS3 Slim (3K model I think) on OFW 4.82 and have done some research on what I can do. I want to install PS3HEN to enable Homebrew and was hoping to use this guide here: https://www.psx-place.com/threads/tutorial-ps3hen-the-great-ps3-hen-all-in-one-guide.24369/ however I have som questions before I start on this tutorial.

The tutorial seems to be for 4.86 and requires installing Hybrid Firmware in order to install HEN. I don't want to do that right now.

Do I absolutely have to update to 4.86 and install HFW to follow that tutorial, or can I simply go ahead and install PS3Hen (step 2 and onwards), since HFW only seems necessary if you are on 4.84+?

Do I lose any hacking opportunities if I update to 4.86?

What happens if I do the guide on OFW 4.82 and later decide to update to 4.86?

Is there anything else that I need to know before doing this?

Please do point out if I have missed something here, like I said, this is my first time hacking my PS3.

Last edited by XaneTenshi,

RaptorDMG

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys
So I am new to PS3 hacking (but not hacking in general, I have a hacked Wii U and a hacked Switch), and since I recently went back to playing some PS3 games, I thought that it might be fun to finally try to hack my PS3 aswell.

I have a PS3 Slim (3K model I think) on OFW 4.82 and have done some research on what I can do. I want to install PS3HEN to enable Homebrew and was hoping to use this guide here: https://www.psx-place.com/threads/tutorial-ps3hen-the-great-ps3-hen-all-in-one-guide.24369/ however I have som questions before I start on this tutorial.

The tutorial seems to be for 4.86 and requires installing Hybrid Firmware in order to install HEN. I don't want to do that right now.

Do I absolutely have to update to 4.86 and install HFW to follow that tutorial, or can I simply go ahead and install PS3Hen (step 2 and onwards), since HFW only seems necessary if you are on 4.84+?

Do I lose any hacking opportunities if I update to 4.86?

What happens if I do the guide on OFW 4.82 and later decide to update to 4.86?

Is there anything else that I need to know before doing this?

Please do point out if I have missed something here, like I said, this is my first time hacking my PS3.

Since PS3HEN 3.0.0 OFW 4.82 is no longer officially supported so you will probably need HFW

You don't lose any opportunities by updating.

You'd likely need to set it up again but I'm not sure

Reactions: XaneTenshi

XaneTenshi

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
You do whatever you feel like. The risk of bricking on PS3 are relatively low.

I suggest you check out MRmario tutorials on youtube.

Thanks for the reply. I actually found his PS3 hacking tutorials on YT yesterday and was planning to check one out before I did this. Thanks for reminding me XD

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Since PS3HEN 3.0.0 OFW 4.82 is no longer officially supported so you will probably need HFW

You don't lose any opportunities by updating.

You'd likely need to set it up again but I'm not sure

Thanks for the response. So, assuming I need HFW, I should just go ahead and update to 4.86 OFW and then install HFW right?

Also, I can't actually run "true" CFW, can I? That's only for consoles on 3.56 or earlier FW right?

Can I run PS2 backups using HEN?

RaptorDMG

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the response. So, assuming I need HFW, I should just go ahead and update to 4.86 OFW and then install HFW right?

Also, I can't actually run "true" CFW, can I? That's only for consoles on 3.56 or earlier FW right?

Can I run PS2 backups using HEN?
Yes, from that point you can follow the guide you posted to install HFW

You can run a tool called minvercheck to see your minimum firmware and if it's below 3.56 your good but I think that was only on consoles up to the 2500 versions

In part 4 of the guide you linked it explains how to do that

Reactions: XaneTenshi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D