Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
DScraft

Project description:

DScraft is a DS homebrew adaptation of the popular game Minecraft. At the moment this is a rather complete adptation of "creative mode" (or minecraft Classic), which means there is only exploration and creation in this version. I am planning on attempting to adapt survival in future versions ! :)

Please report any bugs either here or on the wiki page : http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/DScraft
You can also get texture packs and maps from that wiki page. :)

Downloads
DScraft v310811
DScraft v310811 FAT only (download this if you're having trouble with the previous version)

Texture packs (default jolipack and painterly, visibility and planetpack)

Instructions
Simply drag and drop DScraft.nds and the dscraft directory to your card. (NO NEED to transfer the separate worlds directory)
IMPORTANT - if using nitroFS version, dscraft directory MUST BE in the same directory as DScraft.nds.
IMPORTANT - if using FAT version, dscraft directory MUST BE at the root of the card.

Included are a "worlds" directory and mapGen program. The worlds directory contains several pre-generated worlds for you to explore; simply drag and drop the files to the dscraft/worlds directory to install each one.
The mapGen program is used to generate new worlds. Simply execute it and follow the steps.

New worlds can be installed by copying .map files to the dscraft/worlds directory.
Texture packs can be installed by unzipping them in a directory in the dscraft/packs folder.
Screenshots are stored in the dscraft/screens directory.

bridge.png
dawnruins.png
newlight.png
flow.png

stairs.png
jolicastle.png
jolipack.png
visibility2.png

Features
- ability to add and remove blocks
- nice terrain generation (including cliffs, plains, small forests, lakes...)
- basic cave generation
- map streaming from file, meaning really big maps can be used (1024x1024 maps are fully playable)
- texture pack support (the game's default texture pack is eldpack)
- saving
- day/night cycle, clouds, dawn/dusk, stars... (basically : nice sky :P)
- more or less dynamic lighting system (torches !)
- basic bottom screen (working buttons, inventory)
- tons of blocks !
- (basic) dynamic water
- hand !

Controls
Control Scheme 1 :
control1.png

Double tap : jump
ABXY : toggle fly mode

Control Scheme 2 :
control2.png

ABXY : toggle fly mode

Version history
v030711 :
proof of concept release

v200811 :
first "real" public version

v220811 :
Changelog :

- now compatible with DSi mode, sudokuhax ! (thanks to WinterMute for helping me track down the problem and fixing it !)
- new loading code, now much faster (big.map doesn't take over a minute anymore, it takes under ten seconds !)
- fixed some streaming issues, maps are now their full size (256x256 used to actually be rendered as a 192x192 map)
- fixed the "last minute streaming" issue which appeared when near the end of the map
- fixed the water jumping with control scheme 1; it's now easier to get out of water.
- nitroFS version : dscraft folder should now be in the same directory as DScraft.nds !
- added a readme.txt file

v230811 :
Changelog :

- map streaming fixed *again*; now it won't get "locked" if you're too close to the edge.
- fixed the bug which made some cube faces disappear after saving; however, that's only for stuff saved from now on, so old maps which were affected with this bug will have to be fixed manually. (so if you had that bug, just place a block in front of the invisible face and remove it !)
- player position is now saved to the map file (so you start back where you left the game off)
- somewhat fixed the cursor; still a bit buggy but much better than it used to be
- it's now possible to make time pass by faster by touching the clock
- fixed the compass
- fixed mapGen for sizes that aren't 256, 512, 1024 etc. you do have to feed it even numbers though
- fixed the saving problem for FAT32 cards formatted for 512byte clusters
- fixed the bug that prevented water from spreading correctly after being loaded.
- new website logo, courtesy of sir Lobo ! :D

Special thanks
- #dev-fr :D
- eld for his awesome textures
- notch and all of mojang for creating and maintaining minecraft
- boomboombass for the awesome website made under such short notice
- all my dedicated beta testers :)
- Cyan, GBAtemp, Vloz, Sir_Voe and the two other people whose nicknames weren't in their emails for their generous donations :)

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
someone should just bitchslap the people who make the real minecraft and tell them to make one for the 3ds... i would pay 40 for that

Reactions: 1 person

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Demonstryde said:
someone should just bitchslap the people who make the real minecraft and tell them to make one for the 3ds... i would pay 40 for that
Totally, cause Mojang is easily bent to the will of some random internet-goer.

They're still working on the 1.8 update (Adventure Update) and the final release sometime in November.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Demonstryde said:

They're still working on the 1.8 update (Adventure Update) and the final release sometime in November.

That's true.
closedeyes.gif
ALTHOUGH I see no reason to have an iOS port before DS.
mad.gif

Like most developers say... it's just easier to develop for iOS than DS. I am looking forward to the 360 version, though (AS LONG AS IT ISN'T EXCLUSIVELY KINECT! HEAR ME, MOJANG?!?!?)

Demonstryde

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Demonstryde said:

no they prob would not bend to just one rando.. but how many of you would honstly pay 40$ USD for a full fleged 3ds version with DLC??? i would pay the 40$ plus pay for the DLC...and im sure the $$$$$incentive would be enough to bend the will of Mojang

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is really awesome!
ohmy.gif
You should contact them and show it off! I know Notch will like this, since it will never be ported to the DS anyway! ^^

smealum

growing up sucks.
OP
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
AlanJohn said:
I enjoy playing it.
The only thing I don't like is---
GURU MEDITATION ERROR!!
1282i934 321948124
ABORT
Yeah, as I said the version that's available for download is a really early version so those things are to be expected. (although I think I've fixed this particular bug since then)

Sir_Voe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very exciting to see the creeper and water in those pics. I had a bit of fun digging a little underground cave system earlier, and can see the enjoyment this project offers even at such a basic level.

D

Deleted_171835

That's pretty awesome. Can't wait to see where you go with this!

I do wonder how an official Minecraft game for the 3DS would turn out to be. I would definitely buy it if Mojang decided to make one.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Schlupi said:
That's true.
closedeyes.gif
mad.gif
Because Retail DS games are non-upgradeable, and DSiWare titles have severe filesize restrictions?
tongue.gif

An official Minecraft for DS/3DS won't happen soon (if ever). iOS and Android are both platform which allow for easy content upgrading, that's why they chose them
wink.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
Schlupi said:
That's true.
closedeyes.gif
mad.gif
Because Retail DS games are non-upgradeable, and DSiWare titles have severe filesize restrictions?
tongue.gif

An official Minecraft for DS/3DS won't happen soon (if ever). iOS and Android are both platform which allow for easy content upgrading, that's why they chose them
wink.gif
It's about as likely as an official Touhou DS
frown.gif

D

Deleted_171835

raulpica said:
Schlupi said:
That's true.
closedeyes.gif
mad.gif
tongue.gif
I'm pretty sure the filesize restrictions have been removed with the 3DS eShop.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
raulpica said:
Schlupi said:
That's true.
closedeyes.gif
mad.gif
tongue.gif
I'm pretty sure the filesize restrictions have been removed with the 3DS eShop.
I'm pretty sure they're talking about the DS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    The snack that smiles back, Ballsack!
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up