Hardware Yet another 160-0103 error!

awittyusername

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Good day all!

Just took receipt of a known faulty WiiU. I knew that the main console was at fault but everything else was in Grade A condition and at the price, could afford to buy a working console element if it was not able to be repaired and still be about where a complete working 2nd hand unit might cost.

So with the reason why I picked up a broken one out of the way, onto the issue!

Never owned a WiiU or heard of Error 160-0103 before today but done some reading and found that there's a number of reasons for it ranging from faulty flash memory, certain games triggering unstable memory to go wibble, failed modding attempts, powering off during updates... fairly extensive list. Also it seems that when the error presents will determine 'how far gone' the console is, though it's not clear to me what's a good place to have the error and what's bad due to my inexperience with it.

Safe to say, I've no idea about the history of this console so couldn't say why it is doing what it's doing but I can say what the current situation with it is.
  • On first turn on, I wasn't asked to configure the date/time or networking settings - it went straight into asking me to link a NNID.
  • Selecting that I didn't have a NNID, it asked me to create a Mii - at which point the system crashed and the error was displayed.
  • Restarting and selecting that I did have a NNID, I was directed to configure network settings.
  • Console connected to my network fine and put some random stuff in for NNID just to test and sure enough it said the details were incorrect (I have no NNID to progress this line of testing)
  • There appears to be no obvious method to skip this stage or jump into settings and have a poke around.
Would sure appreciate any next step suggestions from those with more experience! The Nintendo website says an update might sort the problem out but I can't get into settings, the home button doesn't work. Is there a button combo that can force reset the console or boot into settings or an update menu, or could they make matters worse?

Last edited by awittyusername,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unfortunately, there is no recovery mode for the wii u. that's what makes installing cbhc so dangerous if not careful. I think you might sol, because you'd need a nand backup from before this happened. I can sympathize though. my first switch's nand got corrupted, according to Nintendo, so I lost everything including saves (didn't have nso at the time, but I sure do now).. luckily, it was still under warranty. the time played was downloaded from Nintendo's servers, but I reset it, because I didn't want to have really large playtimes in my profile. the times are now accurate. :D anyway, I still haven't gotten to the same point in octopath traveler or xenoblade chronicles 2. I had about 150 hours between the two.

awittyusername

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
unfortunately, there is no recovery mode for the wii u. that's what makes installing cbhc so dangerous if not careful. I think you might sol, because you'd need a nand backup from before this happened. I can sympathize though. my first switch's nand got corrupted, according to Nintendo, so I lost everything including saves (didn't have nso at the time, but I sure do now).. luckily, it was still under warranty. the time played was downloaded from Nintendo's servers, but I reset it, because I didn't want to have really large playtimes in my profile. the times are now accurate. :D anyway, I still haven't gotten to the same point in octopath traveler or xenoblade chronicles 2. I had about 150 hours between the two.

Many thanks for the quick response, I did read it almost straight after you posted and liked but life overtook me and couldn't reply till now!

Fully expected it to be goosed, so that's not a problem and have already ordered a replacement. There's no way I can get anything from before this occurred - I purchased it from a pawn shop that had had it sold to them, been shown it turned on and the buttons worked, and they sold it on only to have it returned faulty when the new owner couldn't get beyond the Mii Maker bit. So basically no hope of speaking to the previous owner who may have tried to mod it, if that's what caused the problem.

I was kind of hopeful that there might have been a softer than factory reset to get me to the settings where I was going to try and perform an update as it's on 5.5.4 according to the error screen, and see if that fixed things, but not been able to find anything online.

Then I was wondering if any modders had posted spoof Nintendo Network ID details somewhere so I could bypass Mii Maker and maybe get to the menu that way but no dice. I haven't got a 3DS so I can't create one either.

I guess if my options are dried up, I'll try one last time to get through after creating a NNID with the working console but failing that will probably just sell it on as 'for parts/not working' or part it out myself - seems like more hassle than it would be worth though.

Last edited by awittyusername,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's the thing that sucks about the wii u. I play mine almost daily, because I'm obsessed with the platformers on the wii/wii u. I play it more than the switch even. those are the only two systems I play anymore, but I still mess with mods on the other systems. I just got done alphabetizing games, dlc, game data, and updates on the xmb on the ps3 by modifying 3 flash files, and editing several PARAM.SFO. some games had like Jak and Daxter, Jak and Daxter II, and Jak and Daxter 3. the going from roman numerals to numbers messed up the sorting. also, the xmb will show lowercase names first, then uppercase after z. I've fixed that. anyway, that's about all I do with most systems: try out different mods, exploits, and hacks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.