Hacking Yes, yes, a bricked wii problem. Please Help.

disguy05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so i've read the forums and tried to do research but nothing is working for me. So i have a 3.3U that was previously hacked. I was trying to install a patched IOS36 so i could install cIOS rev14, to install neogamma, in order to play nsmb. So i had d/led trucha bug restorer to install the patched IOS. I had skipped the downgrade and went straight to installing the patched IOS, which was stupid on my part. The result of this was an upside down HBC. I'm not sure if at this point my wii was bricked, but to fix the upside down HBC, i just used my NAND backup to restore it. After restoring the NAND backup the HBC was normal again, but I noticed now that I could not access my system menu. It just shows a black screen. I made the NAND backup when my wii was running fine. So my question is how can I fix this problem?

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
sounds like something was corrupt in your nand backup or you have a bad block on your nand in a important location, sense you can run HBC, try running something like safe updater 4.2, or if your not interested in 4.2 you could install your system menu and its IOS, once you got the system menu running again, i would update it using any safe method to fix any corruptions, or you could try restoring it again using the nand backup but i doubt it would have any different results

ziddey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nand restore is always a last resort, and almost always there's a better alternative if a restore is possible.

since you have hbc working, you can continue and install a cios, which you'll be able to use to reinstall the system menu / update the wii to fix anything else that may not have been written properly when you did the nand restore.

disguy05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok thanks. So is the system menu a WAD file that I can just find? I tried using NUSD v1.3beta to get the WAD for my system menu but it said

"The System Menu is a critical part of the Wii boot sequence, and failure to install a proper WAD, failure to install its corresponding IOS module, and many other factors can cause a brick. The only safe way to mess with the System Menu is with BootMii boot2 installed."

So that kind of scared me away from using that. Is that what i'm supposed to use and just install it w/ WAD manager?

disguy05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ ziddey, I couldn't install the cIOS because while i did the trucha bug restorer, i had problems with IOS15 v257, something about a wrong hash. I tried redownloading that wad file but it continued to fail, that's why i skipped the downgrade step and just went to install the patched IOS to see if it would work. Any tips on getting a working IOS15 v257?

ziddey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you were able to install a patched ios36, then that's that. no need to downgrade ios15. the upside down hbc is normal because it detects the ios is patched. once you update your wii, and assuming you have unpatched ioses usable by hbc, you can reinstall and have it not be upside down.

yes, any time you play with the system menu or the ios it uses, you're at risk. that's why you have bootmii as boot2.

if you want a simple to use program that'll let you play with your ioses and system menu, get dop ios mod v8.

disguy05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the help so far, but now i have a new question/problem. So i'm following the guide to safely update to 4.2 and i'm at the part where i'm installing all the ios wads. All of them except for ios35, 36, 38, 55, and 56 install correctly. The ones i just mentioned have an error ret=-1022. Any help for getting around this error?

disguy05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry for the multiple posts. i have followed the guide to upgrade to 4.2 and finally got all the ios's to install. i go to the system menu to see if it worked. now i see the health message and can press A, but after that its just a black screen. now what?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I can think of only two things that usually cause a black screen after health message: banner bricks, and missing settings.txt.

Banner brick is unlikely, but only way to eliminate it is to uninstall any custom channel Wads and pirated VC/Wiiware if you have them.

Did you uninstall the system menu at any point, even if you immediately reinstalled one? If so, settings.txt is missing.

disguy05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm not sure if it was uninstalled. the system menu has been a black screen ever since i did that patched ios i mentioned earlier. I have since then upgraded to 4.2U and even done all the necessary steps to modify it to use homebrew. No corrupt messages come up or anything, everything else seems fine its just that the system menu doesn't show up. Where is this settings.txt you mention?

disguy05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok so a little update, I found some system settings mod that would let me install a settings.txt file for my region. still a black screen. i tried reinstalling the system menu as well (assuming this means just installing the wad again and not deleting then installing it). i used any title deleter to delete channels i had installed through wads since i no longer have the wads that i used to install them. still a black screen. while its just a black screen my controller still shows that its connected to the wii if that means anything.

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
Starting to sound more like a corrupt channel sense you can see the heath warning screen and can press a , theres really no telling which one is corrupt sense you used the nand restore, it could be a VC channel or maybe even a system channel could be corrupt, i would remove one at a time, or you could use betwiin to convert a nand dump from a different Wii

disguy05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so far deleted all the VC/wiiware channels still nothing. also when i use anytitledeleter mod v6 by red squirrel i get an error ret=-1017 on startup and ret=-102 when deleting things but it still seems to work.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Weird. Would have thought those two things were the issue. What IOS are you using for ATD MOD? You need to use IOS249, or possibly IOS36 if you ran trucha bug restorer, for it to work without errors. Try deleting the shop, weather, mii, and news channels.

If none of that helps, it looks like it's time for a call to the big N. Never seen a system this hosed before. Typically a new settings.txt or deletion of channels fixes this problem...

disguy05

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use ios249. I ran trucha bug restorer but since I used a nand restore, I don't think i have a patched ios36 anymore. I have a patched ios70 though. I deleted the shop, weather, news channels. Guess i'll try deleting the mii channel to see what happens. If i were to resort to going to Nintendo, do they charge for repairs? And would they even repair it since I have homebrew on it?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have one more thing to try: try using the "maintenance mode". Press + - A at the same time at health screen. If the menu shows up, you might have a mail brick, caused by corrupt message board mail.

Charge for repairs are typically $70. They'll repair as long as brew isn't obvious. (Set preloader to autoboot the bricked menu, so it doesn't show up). You'll likely get a different wii back. Worst that can happen is you get a wii with 4.2 on it and a fixed boot1.

Your IOS36 is no longer patched if you restored since running TBR.

IOS249 was correct for ATD, not sure why it spat out -102 and such.

If the mii channel isn't it, call N.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ah. Forgot about those stupid drives. Yeah, that's a possibility, but at least that one can be fixed unlike a fixed boot1. New D2B drives are cheap ($69 or so), and USB loaders even cheaper ($0) if you already have the external HDD.
smile.gif

Heard somewhere recently that someone got back a wii with 2.0 on it though with bootmii/boot2 support, so not everything they have is new...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I call the one with big tiddies