1. Rastanslayer

OP Rastanslayer Member
    Newcomer

Hi I was wondering if it was possible to use the front usb ports on the Wii u with a Y cable hooked up to an external hdd. I have a Y cable already on the back two ports with a 500gb hdd and everything works great. Thanks.

2. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    yes, I do in fact.

Rastanslayer likes this.
  3. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    yes they work the same in the front.

Rastanslayer likes this.
  4. Rastanslayer

OP Rastanslayer Member
    Newcomer

Thanks guys thats great news. I have an old hdd that will be perfect for that.

5. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I don't think you can use both at the same time unless one is a vWii drive and stealthed. it's only for transferring content that you can use both. you can trick the wii u into seeing the usb as usb02 if you have a vWii hdd plugged in, perhaps two wii u hdds as well. I think the assignment is based on which hdd's data is received first by the system. usb02 can't be seen by ftpii everywhere afaik, but you can transfer content to and from it using the unbearably-slow wup server.

6. OO804

OO804 Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    I didn't think the front ones worked, good to know.

7. Tri-Z

Tri-Z Tri z

United States
    Yeh they work. Some hardrives have issues though. I have wd my passport ultra 1TB vwii and 500G Seagate FreeAgent go for Wii U
    Wd freezes on usb initializing when starting usbloader gx. If I plug the drive in when on vwii homemenu then start the usbloader then it will initialize and work fine and I can play my Wii games. But it kinda defeats the purpose of having the two portable drives plugged into system with y cables if I gotta get up to plug in

Curious if I swapped the hardrive around and used wd for Wii U and seagate for vwii if it would work from cold boot
    But with how much work it is to put Wii U games on hardrive that I don’t want to do all the work to find out the same thing as what happens to me now.

So the point is all USB ports work for hardrives but there can still be compatibility issues

8. Lazyboss

Lazyboss GBAtemp Fan

United Arab Emirates
    Yes it will work. But..
    From my experience, you cannot install games with wup installer when the HDD is connected to the front.

9. Tri-Z

Tri-Z Tri z

United States
    Weird I didn’t know u could enable disable hardrive sleep mode on Wii U. Just stumbled upon it from YouTube vid
    Goto Disc Management in Wii U settings where you have to two options to copy and move or format ur drive. Press Down arrow, select and start at the same time. Menu comes up. It is enabled by default. Was hoping may fix my hd freezing issue but sadly nope. Seeing how it’s a Wii U thing idk why I would think would fix my vwii drive especially since it’s ustealthed too

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  10. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I think there may be some glitches with the front, but you can install games from it.

11. Lazyboss

Lazyboss GBAtemp Fan

United Arab Emirates
    Are you sure? I tried with 2 wiiu and it keep freeze during the installation.

12. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Guru

United States
    it's the only way I've ever installed games.

13. Lazyboss

Lazyboss GBAtemp Fan

United Arab Emirates
    I use y cable in the front and the HDD works fine for all wiiu games, but it seems I can't install anything using wup installer, so I'm forced to remove the HDD for the vWii connected in the back and connect the HDD for the wiiu instead everytime I want to install new game.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - cable, front, ports