Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Saw this yesterday at gbadev, did a search and no one has posted it so...erm here it is. No download just yet but at least its being started. Below is the entire post by Blue_Knight. Original post here.

"Has anyone started an XCom 1 clone for DS?
I ask because I've been working on an X-Com clone. It's a clone because I am not using the original source code but will be as close to the original as possible including using the original game data.

I can currently load MAP,PCK,TAB,MCD and LBM files, can load in and create tilesets, render Battlescape maps (where each 10x10 or 20x20 area is randomly chosen from a set of maps depending on terrain type) with up to 4 height layers (the same as the original game) and of course show vehicles like the Avenger and UFO's.

Anyway you can currently show different heights (which displays like the original game) and scroll around the maps with either the d-pad or by touching near the screen boundaries. Animating tiles work and I'm currently working on doors and such. Here are some cheesy JPG screenshots running in an emulator (it works on the real hardware too)"
XCom1C.jpg
XCom2C.jpg
XCom3C.jpg

XCom4C.jpg
XCom5C.jpg
XCom6C.jpg

Lighting and "fog of war" are not in yet and the top screen is currently used for debugging but will be used (most likely) to display the map. Since I'm using the GPU as a fast hardware blitter, lighting/"fog of war" will be pretty easy and shouldn't have any impact on speed."

If this gets finished, it'll make a lot of people happy.

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
It is good news. I LOVED that game on the PC. It took me months to finish. Recent similar games (UFO:AM, AS & AL) are not so good. I've finished UFO:AM and AS though, but they are waaay tedious (AS).

Smiler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I really do hope this gets finished. Xcom is one of my favorite strategy games, even though I am horrible at it. :|

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Better leave them alone i guess