WTF?! cIOS error (ret = -1017)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Riku Akiyama, Mar 31, 2009.

Mar 31, 2009
  1. Riku Akiyama
    OP

Member Riku Akiyama GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Alright, Im starting to get really upset at this whole installation process...It works 100% for some, 50% for others, and 0% for me.
    Ok, So I read EVERY tutorial so far, I put everything where it was supposed to be. Apps folder, IOS in the root of the SD.
    But whenever I run the IOS installer, It starts to read the .wad...Then I get: error (ret = -1017) "Press any button to retsart Wii"
    I'm running 3.2u, HBC beta 8, with a Wasabi hardmod.
    Can someone PLEASE help me out? im a huge fan of the HDLoader for the PS2 and it would be nice to have since most of my backups get destroyed over time.

EDIT: BTW, can someone close the other thread? My net is buggy and I clicked submit twice like an idort

2. Draganta

Newcomer Draganta Member

Germany
    you could update your HBC, maybe that helps

3. david432111

Member david432111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    Try setting the installer to network installation, it'll ask you. Updating hbc won't help but it wouldn't hurt.

4. Richy Freeway

Member Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I had exactly the same problem, I had to use AnyTitleDeleter to remove an old IOS249 I had installed.

Once I'd done that, it worked fine.

5. Riku Akiyama
    OP

Member Riku Akiyama GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Alright I deleted the IOS249 and the Rev9 installer worked perfectly...but now, I click on the USBloader and the splash screen comes up...But theres no text in the box and I can't use ANY buttons

6. BlackEnigma

Member BlackEnigma GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Did you wait for a while? I bet it was trying to read the USB. Though if it doesn't come up pretty fast I imagine that you might not be able to use the USB you have attached.

7. david432111

Member david432111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    That's cause it doesn't support other filesystems. Boot a linux live cd and use gparted to format the disk and make an "Unformatted" partition.
    Once you've done that, the usb loader will ask you to format it, say yes. Done! I had the same problem and this fixed it.

8. Richy Freeway

Member Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Or use this build of the Windows tools to prep the drive before attaching it to the Wii.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144475