Write speed for Samsung vs Sandisk Microsd card

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by juijui68, Jul 17, 2018.

1. juijui68
    OP

juijui68 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2018
    United States
    Hi guys,

I am curious if my microsd card reader is out of date or it's my card has issue?

I am currently using Samsung Evo Plus 128Gb UHS-I U3 and advertised as up to 90MB/Sec write speed.
    When I am writing .XCI into the microsd card it's only writing at ~20MB/sec and my PC has USB 3.0.

What is Sandisk A1 .XCI writing speed for you guys? Or this is simply my microsd card reader is out of date?
    Thanks.

2. noahc3

noahc3 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    Canada
    Manitoba
    Just because your PC has USB 3.0 doesn't mean your card reader can take advantage of it. 20MB/s is about USB 2.0 speeds.

You at least want a USB 3.0 reader, and probably one that is actually advertised with UHS support to achieve advertised speeds.

Something like this or like this. Make sure to check the reviews.

3. juijui68
    OP

juijui68 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2018
    United States
    Thanks for your reply, could you let me know what is your typical write speed for .XCI? Thanks.

4. noahc3

noahc3 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    Canada
    Manitoba
    I get 60MB/s transferring stuff to my 256GB Sandisk Ultra UHS1 card with a generic USB 3.0 reader I grabbed at Princess Auto.

5. zaku

zaku GBAtemp Regular

Jun 26, 2018
    Uganda
    Yeah about 60mb on a usb3.0 reader

6. thaikhoa

thaikhoa GBAtemp Addict

Sep 16, 2008
    Australia
    SS Evo+ / macbook sd slot. I got 85-90MB/s single file and 15-20MB/s small files.

7. zahimi

zahimi GBAtemp theme maker extraordinarie

Nov 5, 2006
    United Kingdom
    I have an SD slot in my dell laptop.
    I get 80-90MB/s with my 256GB Samsung evo plus.
    I guess an SD slot is faster then any card reader.

8. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    Try connecting your card reader to different USB ports and compare the results. Mine seems to be much slower on the front panel ports even though they are supposed to be USB3.0

9. gnilwob

gnilwob GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2008
    Hong Kong
    I can get writing speed of 80MB/s on Samsung and 60MB/s on Sandisk

10. Migoma

Migoma Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2015
    United States
  11. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Best is to use a PCI-E port like most laptops have (though some are still under a USB3.0 connection inside). But a good USB3.0 reader will do good too.

I have a crap USB 2.0 reader and with Sandisk A1 128GB I was getting 18MB\s in the SD port of it and around 20MB\s on the Micro SD port of it, but in my laptop PCI-E it was around 80MB\s, but sadly I already had 3x Sandisk Ultra A1 128GB and they all had problems, now I have a super slow Toshiba crap ;)

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted