Would porting an HTML5 web browser over to the Wii be possible?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by xThePirateKingx, Jul 7, 2014.

1. xThePirateKingx
    OP

xThePirateKingx Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 7, 2014
    United States
    Maybe something open source such as chromium or FireFox? Seeing how Wii's are really cheap now, I think having one on there would open up a slew of possibilities on what people use the Wii for. Maybe even give it traditional KB + M control. The current browsers feel really dated and slow, possibly because of flash and whatnot. Could this be a better alternative?

2. sabandellos

sabandellos Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2010
    Maybe, but nobody who knows how to do it, wants to do it, because now Wii is an old console. It's a pity, I know.

3. OmegaVesko

OmegaVesko GBAtemp Regular

Mar 28, 2011
    About the current browser being 'dated and slow' - keep in mind the Wii isn't exactly a powerful machine, even for its own time. Even if someone did somehow manage to port chromium or Firefox to the Wii (well, you *can* run those by just running desktop Linux, but never mind that) they won't perform significantly better than the built-in browser.

Like I said, though, using one of the Wii Linux ports will give you both access to those browsers and USB keyboard support. If you really want it, why not try that?

4. xThePirateKingx
    OP

xThePirateKingx Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 7, 2014
    United States
    Alright I'll look into that.