Worth buying Monster Hunter?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by LTK, May 2, 2013.

1. LTK
    OP

LTK GBAtemp Fan

Jul 28, 2008
    West Midlands
    If I don't know anybody else with a 3DS? I've also never played a monster hunter game in my life.

also are there any good JRPGS on the 3DS yet?

2. WatchGintama

WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    Bravely Default is coming soon. There's also tales of abyss, devil survivor, Soul hackers, Digimon, etc.
    For eShop there is Denpa Men and the upcoming sequel.

LTK likes this.
  3. 2ndApex

2ndApex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2012
    United States
    I don't know how similar it is to the other MH games since I haven't played them but if it's your first then yeah it's definitely wroth a buy.

LTK likes this.
  4. Nathan Drake

Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Jan 2, 2011
    Yes, Monster Hunter is an amazing game to grab for the 3DS. I can easily see how it would be a system seller for some. As far as RPG's go, the only true RPG I have at the moment is Tales of the Abyss, and that's definitely worth picking up. It's a solid Tales game with a decent story (I'm about 16 hours in right now), plenty of content, and all that Tales goodness. It isn't a super shiny port (not an enhanced port), but it's true to the PS2 version, perhaps with slightly more washed out colors. As far as Tales games go, it definitely ranks among the best, and this port is leagues better than any of the DS games.

LTK likes this.
  5. Janthran

Janthran Solarian

Sep 17, 2011
    United States
    The Pacific Northwet
    I made a flowchart to help you decide.
    [​IMG]

6. tickle.my.pickle

tickle.my.pickle GBAtemp Regular

May 2, 2013
    United States
    demo available at eshop... ;)

7. Daemauroa

Daemauroa GBAtemp Regular

May 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    I agree with tickle.my .... pickle. ( seriously what is up with this name...)

but anyway, a demo is always a good thing to try out if you're planning to buy a game but you're not sure if you would like it or not.
    if not, there is another amazing game coming out indeed, bravely default, though there isn't a set release date yet, I only know that Europe gets it before NA...

other games you may be interested in are Fire Emblem: Awakening and Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor : Overclocked.
    but if you don't care about fancy voice-acting and polished graphics you could go for Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor. this one is on the normal ds.

(edit: thanks to WatchGintama I found out that they released Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers.
    seems pretty nice to me.)

8. SignZ

SignZ Timelord

Jul 16, 2008
    Germany
    There's one problem tho, the demo is absolutely shit compared to the full game. It only shows how to hunt a rather big monster, without showing everything around that - quests, collecting materials to create better equipment, multiplayer (which is really fun in this game).
    I'd recommend trying the full game somehow (maybe a friend got the game), then you'll see if you like it or not, but PLEASE don't base your opinion on the demo.

EZ-Megaman and chavosaur like this.
  9. Ryupower

Ryupower Brood

Oct 8, 2007
    United States
    MH can give you an easy 100h+ of game play (lot of it is getting stuff to make better eq and weapons)
    you may have to do the same quest over and over and over to get the 1 one item you need to make just one part of the eq set or use it to make/upgrade you one of your weapons

yes try the demo and find the weapon type(s) you like and can use well
    the demo give you OPed eq for the quests you have(but they still can be hard of 1st timer), and it just a small taste of what there is in the game

i am not that good at it, but i have got a lot better at the game, in playing it

if you have a PSP try, the MHF PSP games

if you do get MH for the 3ds a CPP might be a good thing to get as it can make many thing easier

10. pokefloote

pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

Mar 20, 2009
    United States
    That Lagombi is annoying too. At least have a Great Jaggi or something for the beginner quest of the demo. Most people who have never played MH might go for the great sword, and you can't just hack and slash with that. Plus it's a very agile monster.

11. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    I have to agree with this. The demo was terrible. When I downloaded it on the WiiU I was like "Yeah, this is dumb, I'm not getting it." I watched some videos by Pro Jared, went out on a whim and bought the game, LOOOOVE IT! It's fantastic!

pokefloote likes this.
  12. chavosaur

chavosaur Austin Trujillo

pip Contributor
    Mar 11, 2012
    United States
    Huntersville, NC
    I have 192:37 mins in the game right now...
    Get
    It
    Nao

13. DaggerV

DaggerV Archmagi of the Emerald Moon

Dec 3, 2009
    United States
    I'd skip MHU3 if you don't have friends to play with, or at the very least make it a secondary purchase.

14. astrangeone

astrangeone GBAtemp Addict

Dec 1, 2009
    Canada
    Canada
    As someone who thought they hated the MH series - I say, get it now! It's a pretty big time-sink - eg. grinding for parts, getting good at hunting bigger beasties, sending your fleet of fishing boats out...

I played the MH series on the PSP - hated it because I started with the greatsword - and that is not a nice thing for beginners to use. I tend to go for the greatsword now when up against stupid aquatic monsters..

I like it...even though quests can take hours or days to complete. (I'm not very good at it, but I enjoy the learning curve!)

DaggerV likes this.