Windows 8.1 Update + Remote Desktop App for Android and iOS.

Patxinco

Riding a Shooting Star
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Oww yeah!!!

My fathers gonna love this update (Me too) ^^

Edit: 9mb here, only in big cities with optical fiber they have 20mb, and not everywhere...

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
there's not even possible order a speed like that ;)
the lowest speed is 20mb ;)
Keep in mind that you live in Sweden, which has, on average, some of the fastest internet connections in the world... You can get much slower in other countries; I think the United States still has a bunch of people on 512kb connections :unsure:

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
there's not even possible order a speed like that ;)
the lowest speed is 20mb ;)

Keep in mind that you live in Sweden, which has, on average, some of the fastest internet connections in the world... You can get much slower in other countries; I think the United States still has a bunch of people on 512kb connections :unsure:

aaand you need to add that the speed they offer is on bits, but we use Bytes to measure network speeds
so these 20Mbits are 2.5MBytes
I have an internet connection around 6Mb(don't remember exactly) and the maximum download speed I get is 1MBps when downloading on Steam or Mega.
lets do a little math to estimate the download time
if we have a download speed of 2.5MBytes then download 3GB should take: 3000000kB/2500kBps=1200 seconds. then if we convert that on minutes is: 1200/60=20 minutes. that should take download 3GB with a steady connection of 2.5MBps. now try to calculate the same with a slower connection and see how many minutes/hours other people need to wait for their downloads.

I didn't have many time to see the options as only my dad completed the installation this morning(after leaving the laptop downloading overnight), I only get to download until 50%.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still no way to download apps without changing your system password to your Microsoft account password.
Still no official search without using Metro.
Still no official solitaire/minesweeper/etc. apps that don't require subscriptions to be ad-free.

I'm aware that the last two can be easily circumvented, but it's the fact that Microsoft gave absolutely no shits about any of it that grates at me. Fixing a couple of major flaws and bundling it with prior security fixes or features that no one will use isn't a new version of Windows, it's a service pack. I can only laugh at anyone who says Windows 8.1 is more than marginally better better than the basic Windows 8 release - it doesn't do anything that shouldn't have been an option in the first place, nor does it do anything that 20 minutes of downloading and setup of third-party programs post-install couldn't have done better in the original Windows 8 or in 8.1.

I've used a shit ton of tweaks, some all at once, others alone. NONE of them are as seamless as 8.1. In fact, i'll go as far to say the ONLY one I would call "better" then 8.1's Start menu button, is Start8's ability to open the start menu in a smaller form, and even that was glitchy as all hell.

And at what point did anyone say it wasn't a service pack? Is it so terrible they choose to use a more universal and unified term such as "Update" rather then "WINDOWS 8 SERVICE PACK 1"?

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used a shit ton of tweaks, some all at once, others alone. NONE of them are as seamless as 8.1. In fact, i'll go as far to say the ONLY one I would call "better" then 8.1's Start menu button, is Start8's ability to open the start menu in a smaller form, and even that was glitchy as all hell.

And at what point did anyone say it wasn't a service pack? Is it so terrible they choose to use a more universal and unified term such as "Update" rather then "WINDOWS 8 SERVICE PACK 1"?

Yeah I had been using Classic Shell (Wouldn't buy Start8 and cba to pirate it) and that too was buggy and fairly resource intensive. I dropped it following the 8.1 update because the only thing that would have gained me now is a start menu. I'll deal with the start screen (barely, since I boot to desktop now)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    meowie13 @ meowie13: hellooo everyone