~
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I just wonder from time to time why arn't there many schools
that have windows7 installed on the computers.
Since windows xp isn't going to be supported soon, and there
won't be new service packs for it, why stick to it?
Price,
if it is too expensive, then at least save those ict vouchers from tescos so that you can afford 100 licenses or so.
Compatability
windows cones with a compatability troubleshooter so, old programs should work.
Teachers
if they used xp for years. Then windows7 should be easier to use.

So, what are your thoughts?
unsure.gif

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dter ic said:
Price,
if it is too expensive, then at least save those ict vouchers from tescos so that you can afford 100 licenses or so.
Compatability
Teachers

unsure.gif
Most computers schools buy ship with windows XP installed, also why would you use something that you say *should* work, when they know for a fact that the software they will be using (office, monitoring software, special programs needed, etc.) WILL work with XP. If it aint broke don't fix it.

hullo8d

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They probably see Windows XP as more professional, but the transition to Windows 7 shouldn't be too far.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
We have windows 7 in our school, and Adobe master collection cs4.
laugh.gif

It is fun to use. Thats all i can say. XP is still my favorite though.

shamiko_

~
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
antwill said:
Dter ic said:
Price,
Compatability
Teachers

unsure.gif
Most computers schools buy ship with windows XP installed, also why would you use something that you say *should* work, when they know for a fact that the software they will be using (office, monitoring software, special programs needed, etc.) WILL work with XP. If it aint broke don't fix it.
well, my school has just purcased a couple of new computers, and some hae VISTA pre-installed,then downgraded so, if it ain't broken why fix it
tongue.gif

also i do hear a lot that some PC's freeze/crash at my school, woudn't windows 7 make a difference.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
jan777 said:
We have windows 7 in our school, and Adobe master collection cs4.
laugh.gif

It is fun to use. Thats all i can say. XP is still my favorite though.
We're still stuck with XP pro, but we do have Adobe Master Collection CS3. :s

Thoob

LOLmonade.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Many teachers couldn't handle the change to Win7. XP is the only OS many people have ever used in their life, and would not know where to start on a new OS. Money also plays a huge part. Although they would probably get a pretty big discount, it would still be massively expensive to upgrade to Windows 7.

And just to make things even better, our school still uses IE6. What the hell?! I almost cry every time I am forced to use it...
cry.gif

shamiko_

~
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Thoob said:
Many teachers couldn't handle the change to Win7. XP is the only OS many people have ever used in their life, and would not know where to start on a new OS. Money also plays a huge part. Although they would probably get a pretty big discount, it would still be massively expensive to upgrade to Windows 7.
ok some teachers may think so, but others have new PC's at home with windows 7 so, no big deal.
about price: in the uk tesco operates a I.C.T voucher scheme, so if the studens keep collecting thousands then we'll get there soon.

ie6 was the worst thing that could happen at school, it was sooo slow back then when the teacher had a link to a youtube video, she would just click it and continue the lesson untill ie6 decides to load up. and whats worser than that? having an outdated flashpayer
frown.gif

Fear Zoa

Still Alive
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if your school is anything like mine they use a heavily modified image of xp so it would take a while to make a modified image of 7, then they have to iron out all the flaws (like that time I elevated myself to admin school's system)

But yea it would take years to switch even if they decided to (xp works for them and most programs are still xp compatible so they really don't have any reason to upgrade)

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Well XP is very basic to use for the stuff needed to do.
Pretty much the only stuff schools do is use programs like internet explorer, Microsoft office and Adobe Image editing stuff.
OH and almost fergot, they would also have to re-do the whole system.
They will lose all files and have to set up the student user system again.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dter ic said:
Thoob said:
ok some teachers may think so, but others have new PC's at home with windows 7 so, no big deal.
about price: in the uk tesco operates a I.C.T voucher scheme, so if the studens keep collecting thousands then we'll get there soon.

ie6 was the worst thing that could happen at school, it was sooo slow back then when the teacher had a link to a youtube video, she would just click it and continue the lesson untill ie6 decides to load up. and whats worser than that? having an outdated flashpayer
frown.gif
Spending money on unnecessary training is no big deal to you?

shamiko_

~
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Fear Zoa said:
Well if your school is anything like mine they use a heavily modified image of xp so it would take a while to make a modified image of 7, then they have to iron out all the flaws (like that time I elevated myself to admin school's system)

But yea it would take years to switch even if they decided to (xp works for them and most programs are still xp compatible so they really don't have any reason to upgrade)
a moded xp imgage? wow, i never seen that happen before.
ok, if the shool decides to switch to windows 7, im not suggesting they chage ALL PC's at school to windows 7 but doing room by room. so if for one month they changed the PC's in one classrom to windows 7 and get students to do user testing ect and if it becomes sucessful, then they could change the rest room by room.

blackacidevil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello my youngling,

Windows Xp is used at schools or probably seems everywhere to you because upgrading the networks would mean either serious amount of work by the network adminisiter or outside work.

Windows Xp is installed on school networks (or seems to be there still for a couple reasons)

- It works dont fix it
- Its highly reliable and has good security (Risk to Reward ratio), meaning theres no point installing Windows 7 (ill skip vista thats ajoke)/ Windows 7 requires much configuration and time to setup with premissions and domain status, that can be pulled by down by the sound of a grade 8 click, that will eventually take over an object (example a directory in the computer c:\windows , c:\windows\system32 ) that will now completely defeat the idea of having windows 7 over windows xp. As there is no longer a reason one is better than another in a network setup when your basically logging on tons of inexperienced users without a good group policy.

- Windows 7 can be configured properly, it can be configured so this stuff doesnt happen? Yes your right, but if your moving with the flow of technogoly your still years behind in basic NTFS or FAT32. Again, while theres NTFS and Windows xp has support in sp3 or 2, cant remember, the problem is, once its easily broken, (that means the premissions are changable ) it does not matter what operating system you are running. To put plainly, if you can find a way around to get to command prompt in Windows XP or Windows 7. You can make an adminisitration account (in 1 to 3 minutes) and you can make the changes and security you want).

- So what am I on about?
Windows 7 / Windows Vista (Vista is the ugly twin of windows 7), uses a based file system premissions, that allows trustedinstaller or system to use any and all directories with FULL CONTROL, that means, system or trustedinstaller is allowed to make changes to any directory/file on the computer.

Windows XP Sp2 , SP3 3.2.008
Will difference itself by admin and user by profile settings and using a restricted command prompt thats easily to override by using old dos commands at the prompt. the c:\users\\your direcory here\desktop/profieles/downlaods,documents
You have just as much access to the admin account

I was hoping youd know your stuff a lot better sparky.

The windows 7 , while it uses NTFS and access directory to block unauthorized users to go into directories they are not authorized to. Still lacks security, windows is on the right path, while linux is clearly ahead, you have to give it to windows sometimes, because they have to cater to all users, dumb, never used a computer, im pro man, super ubers user 15 years oold and super man jimbo. Windows has to open and make easy all these access premissions. So windows 7 you can still give yourself Root God (for your youngling self, that gives your SU super usuer control)

You can do this by writing a batch file (was a normal thing to do when you had DOS), people using DOS back in the day had to edit autoexec.bat. To make if they want the CDROM driver to load up or not, if they wanted a game to run faster without loading unnessary items to memory.

So back to the point ... Windows 7 , assumes a batch file, is run by the system, so it make small changes to the c:\windows section and root directory of the \users where all users docuemnts are kept,
you change some and you eventually have full control over all

So none are above.

Now to shut you down from speaking again,

Windows XP is supported still. In fact Windows XP is still supported more than whats refered to as Windows 7 native (Windows 7 64-bit). Windows Xp uses 32 bit applications, windows 7 comes in 32 bit and 64 bit verisons. Windows 7 has been pushing now 68 percent of the 64 bit on OEM and pre-assembled computers, through bestbuy, futureshop , etc. 64 bit used to be a lonely place, but with windows 7, theres a backward support for 32bit, which was in 64bit xp, but with problems. The windows 7 64 bit supports good 32bit/multi enviroment.

So back to the windows xp is not support is bullshit .

Windows Xp stuff (32bit applications) are going to be around more in majority than 64 bit applications in the next 5 to 7 years. Even at the state we are in now, 64bit using Photoshop, steeluse, dreamweaver/word, (no games might i add use the 64bit core) all are suffering problems, and most ppl with 64bit ops, USE the 32bit ones anyways, its a long way off there sparky.

Anways Dtric IT, i thought youd know this stuff better,

Rhos MCITTP, CCNP
Vancouver Jitcom, REC team

shamiko_

~
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
antwill said:
Dter ic said:
Thoob said:

frown.gif
Spending money on unnecessary training is no big deal to you?
doesn't "unnecessary" training happen back when they changed windows 98 to windows xp?

blackacidevil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Did you miss the message, you quoted something fast. again

Windows 98 is the same as XP, just a different Kernel that runs everything on the same OP level and security level, so in your case none is better than the other when you have a bunch of fouled mouth, juice drinking, sippy cup straw loving koolaid fans.

Now im saying that because you wrote like you knew something in the DS forums, but my respsect is out the window if you cant work a cd \ . Or find a book on this.

Hello my youngling,

Windows Xp is used at schools or probably seems everywhere to you because upgrading the networks would mean either serious amount of work by the network adminisiter or outside work.

Windows Xp is installed on school networks (or seems to be there still for a couple reasons)

- It works dont fix it
- Its highly reliable and has good security (Risk to Reward ratio), meaning theres no point installing Windows 7 (ill skip vista thats ajoke)/ Windows 7 requires much configuration and time to setup with premissions and domain status, that can be pulled by down by the sound of a grade 8 click, that will eventually take over an object (example a directory in the computer c:\windows , c:\windows\system32 ) that will now completely defeat the idea of having windows 7 over windows xp. As there is no longer a reason one is better than another in a network setup when your basically logging on tons of inexperienced users without a good group policy.

- Windows 7 can be configured properly, it can be configured so this stuff doesnt happen? Yes your right, but if your moving with the flow of technogoly your still years behind in basic NTFS or FAT32. Again, while theres NTFS and Windows xp has support in sp3 or 2, cant remember, the problem is, once its easily broken, (that means the premissions are changable ) it does not matter what operating system you are running. To put plainly, if you can find a way around to get to command prompt in Windows XP or Windows 7. You can make an adminisitration account (in 1 to 3 minutes) and you can make the changes and security you want).

- So what am I on about?
Windows 7 / Windows Vista (Vista is the ugly twin of windows 7), uses a based file system premissions, that allows trustedinstaller or system to use any and all directories with FULL CONTROL, that means, system or trustedinstaller is allowed to make changes to any directory/file on the computer.

Windows XP Sp2 , SP3 3.2.008
Will difference itself by admin and user by profile settings and using a restricted command prompt thats easily to override by using old dos commands at the prompt. the c:\users\\your direcory here\desktop/profieles/downlaods,documents
You have just as much access to the admin account

I was hoping youd know your stuff a lot better sparky.

The windows 7 , while it uses NTFS and access directory to block unauthorized users to go into directories they are not authorized to. Still lacks security, windows is on the right path, while linux is clearly ahead, you have to give it to windows sometimes, because they have to cater to all users, dumb, never used a computer, im pro man, super ubers user 15 years oold and super man jimbo. Windows has to open and make easy all these access premissions. So windows 7 you can still give yourself Root God (for your youngling self, that gives your SU super usuer control)

You can do this by writing a batch file (was a normal thing to do when you had DOS), people using DOS back in the day had to edit autoexec.bat. To make if they want the CDROM driver to load up or not, if they wanted a game to run faster without loading unnessary items to memory.

So back to the point ... Windows 7 , assumes a batch file, is run by the system, so it make small changes to the c:\windows section and root directory of the \users where all users docuemnts are kept,
you change some and you eventually have full control over all

So none are above.

Now to shut you down from speaking again,

Windows XP is supported still. In fact Windows XP is still supported more than whats refered to as Windows 7 native (Windows 7 64-bit). Windows Xp uses 32 bit applications, windows 7 comes in 32 bit and 64 bit verisons. Windows 7 has been pushing now 68 percent of the 64 bit on OEM and pre-assembled computers, through bestbuy, futureshop , etc. 64 bit used to be a lonely place, but with windows 7, theres a backward support for 32bit, which was in 64bit xp, but with problems. The windows 7 64 bit supports good 32bit/multi enviroment.

So back to the windows xp is not support is bullshit .

Windows Xp stuff (32bit applications) are going to be around more in majority than 64 bit applications in the next 5 to 7 years. Even at the state we are in now, 64bit using Photoshop, steeluse, dreamweaver/word, (no games might i add use the 64bit core) all are suffering problems, and most ppl with 64bit ops, USE the 32bit ones anyways, its a long way off there sparky.

Anways Dtric IT, i thought youd know this stuff better,

Rhos MCITTP, CCNP
Vancouver Jitcom, REC team

blackacidevil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Example..

Windows XP is 32 bit (one small verison 64 bit came out, but we not discuss)

Dragon Age uses 32bit , (not 64bit application), a lot of the fancy stuff is done by directx, which for example is used by the GPU of a video card which uses a DAC and RAMDAC, which filters off the graphics card, and lets your CPU handle itself in the pre rendering and loading.

Since directx sends most of the graphics processing to a directx video card, no game manufactor has ever made a game that puts majority of processing back onto a cpu, however you need a good CPU, your going to have most of your functions run off of here, like windows services, background apps, disk accessing and program on-call to video .

A horrible example of CPU processing without using GPU and GPU memory, is grand theft auto 4, the majority of the system uses CPU preformance, and doesnt depend on the GPU to produce its frame rates or even use any of the features of todays video cards to improve frame rate. It doesnt recognize SLI mode nor any of the new drivers out.

So what you get with GTA is a slow preformance that keeps about the same to a slow pc to fast pc (comparing a 2007 top computer to a 2010 top), its just not utilized to run better.

alright?

blackacidevil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
and again

GPU has its access to its own on board memory, (example ATI something 1 gig ram, 760 ram dac) or Nvidia GFX460 768 mb ram.

The problem with CPU used processing is, 32 bit is all the way, we have to run 32 bit by default, unless by getting another program to override it, like tuneup, x-tweak, and putting more than 60 percent of the game processing handled by Cpu to something like 80 to 90 percent to speed up an application.

So again, everythings made for 32 bit, ill be dead in my grave before 64 bit is a real reality, because developers of games and graphics cards, have always found a way around not getting us to jump into 64bit via computeres.

If you want to build some sand castles let me know

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You really shouldn't triple post blackacidevil, tsk tsk. But yes you have a point. Also in response to the post of heavily modified images of XP, they do that for backup and restore purposes. It's easier to install a modified image with everything configured and working to multiple machines than to do it manually one by one...

Acheron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm an IT tech at a high school, and to answer the original post of this thread (this obviously may not be the same in the US/UK etc) but down here in Aus, Windows 7 (and most Microsoft software for that matter) costs nothing for public schools, it's supplied for free by our governments education department. Also the license for Windows 7 (Enterprise) is unlimited, as it uses volume KMS activation.

There's a very good chance your school IT techs already have Windows 7 but are planning when and how to upgrade, not a quick thing to do anyway. Took us a few months at least before all our servers were running Windows Server 2008 R2. I upgraded our schools computers (we have over 500) to Windows 7 last christmas break. It's made my work a hell of a lot better anyway since Windows 7 is so much easier to install than XP, to install a machine all i need to do now is turn it on, press F12 and walk away. It'll install Windows + all the applications off our deployment server, joins to our network when done, mostly everything is automatic & gives me more time to browse the web back in the office haha.

As for 32/64-bit, 99% of our computers we kept 32-bit, no point since most our machines have 2GB of RAM; and among other things to avoid compatibility issues that may/will pop up. The only computers we have 64-bit is our multimedia lab, the Adobe CS5 Production suite actually requires a 64-bit operating system now (Premiere and After Effects anyway).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: What if succubus were real? :ninja: