Will using a VPN screw up my home network?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by the_randomizer, Feb 27, 2012.

Feb 27, 2012
  1. the_randomizer
    OP

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    I know, a very noobish question to be sure, but the thing of it is, I want to install a VPN (in this case, Hotspot Shield) so I can access sites without those pesky Google bots gathering my personal information (and to download Super Smash Bros Brawl hacks without Mediafire getting stuck in an infinite download verification loop). My question is, with my home network being set up the way it is (main PC, two other PCs connected wirelessly), will installing a VPN mess up and/or interfere with the network connection in any way? I installed it, but I haven't started to use it yet. Is doing this safe? I would use proxies, but they're not secure at all

2. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Short answer: No, it wouldn't.

Once set up on your computer, it won't mess with the router or other computers on the network at all.

Edit: And just think, people use VPNs at university, work place, library, schools, etc all the time.

3. the_randomizer
    OP

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Thanks for the quick response! Are there free VPNs with a limit of more than >3GB per month or is the one I mentioned the best free VPN?

4. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    Its the one I use. However i only turn it on when i need it because theres anoying popups and ads. It reminds me of the good ol' altavista browser.(lol the good times)

5. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    Do remember though, that using a VPN will probably reduce your speed (the VPN machine (or its connection) is the bottleneck, much like with the Tor network).