Will there be a replacement server for Badge Arcade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ondrashek06

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Now, I know what you're thinking - it isn't gone yet. You can still use the official Nintendo servers to access Badge Arcade.

However, time is ticking. eShop will shut down permanently in 2023, and with microtransactions down, people won't be able to buy badge arcade plays. From there, it is just a matter of time until Nintendo decides to pull the plug and finally end it all. The text files for the shutdown message are already present in the game, they can just enable those.

There is a replacement server for Miiverse, and replacement eShops are in the works (supposedly? I've seen screenshots of these). If Nintendo decides to shutdown Nintendo Network, Pretendo is also planning replacement services for the 3DS (MK7 & others)...

But still no news regarding Badge Arcade.

Now, I know what you're thinking - "just use one of these badge generators". That's NOT the point. I don't really play badge arcade for the badges themselves, I love playing the crane game and seeing my collection grow, and I'm pretty sure that others do too.

You don't just download a game and instantly save-edit yourself to the end of the game, that's not the point, the point is ACHIEVING the end status.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
From there, it is just a matter of time until Nintendo decides to pull the plug and finally end it all.
I hope you're not thinking someone here is supposed to know when that will be.

But I wouldn't count on it happening for a long time. There's really no reason for them to do so. (Then again, Nintendo has weird reasons for a lot of things.)

BrainImpediment

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m also curious about this! I’m not sure there are enough people interested enough in keeping the arcade up after it shuts down some time in the future, but, is there anything else stopping us? Not saying it HAS to be done just because it CAN, but like. Is it just that there isn’t enough interest, or is something stopping it from being possible?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, apparently there's a patch that disables SSL, so that's not a problem, at least.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release...root-ca-verification-for-ssl-requests.469383/

I might speculate that people might not be inclined to look into this since messing with Badge Arcade is apparently one of very few activities that has potential to trigger some kind of ban. But I expect lack of interest is the dominant factor.

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I for one would love to see a new homebrew server made for badge arcade so that people could get custom badges the same way they get the official ones! And honestly, I'll be glad to help with testing since I do have a otherwise useless O3DS on hand. And if it weren't for the whole "having to share my IP" thing, I'd also be up to host whatever server solution comes up provided it can run on Linux, specifically OpenMediaVault.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: