Will the wii function without a disk drive plugged in?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Kues, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Kues
    OP

Kues Member

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2015
    United States
    I'm planning to make a portable wii with no disc drive and was wondering if anyone knew if the wii will turn on and fully function without the disk drive attached anymore?

2. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    At least the drive controller needs to be plugged in. It's part of the hardware initialization and booting will stop if it fails.

3. JacksonS

JacksonS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 13, 2016
    United States
    Georgia
    @GreyWolf What? The Wii works without the disc drive attached. The only thing you cannot do is boot Wii games and lots of Wii software because they all make calls to the disc drive. You can, however, boot GameCube games with Nintendont because it does not make calls to the disc drive. It's possible to bypass the disc drive calls and play Wii games using emuNAND, but it's a tricky process. Very soon, a team is releasing a pack that will make it easy for portablizers to do everything on their Wii without a disc drive.

4. JacksonS

JacksonS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 13, 2016
    United States
    Georgia
    Sorry, my internet made me double post.

Last edited by JacksonS, Jun 22, 2016
  5. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    Are you sure? From what I understand the console won't boot if the DI check fails the same as if the BT or WiFi modules don't initialize. From what I've read at least the controller board has to be connected. The drive mechanism itself doesn't have to be there.

6. JacksonS

JacksonS GBAtemp Fan

Feb 13, 2016
    United States
    Georgia
    I've worked extensively with the Wii motherboard and, no, the disc drive does not need to be present in any form. You can attach a drive replacement like the WiiKey Fusion and you won't have any problems with compatibility at all.