will any hard drive work with usb loader?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by WiihackingNoobie, Jan 28, 2011.

Jan 28, 2011
  1. WiihackingNoobie
    OP

Newcomer WiihackingNoobie Advanced Member

United States
    hey guys i was thinking about getting an external hard drive so i dont have to use discs, because my wii buzzes. anyway will any hard drive work as long as it is formated to wbfs?

2. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    There are plenty of lists out there on the Web and on GBATemp concerning Wii USB Drive compatibility. Best to crack out Google for this one.

Generally, here are some guidelines that should help you find a compatible drive:
    • Stick with major, well-known name brands, and do not use fly-by-night generic products.
    • Do not choose a drive with any virtual drive autoplay functions. At least make sure that they can be removed or disabled.
    • Stay away from drives with invasive power saving options like spindle down, which can't be disabled. (Power on USB port power detection is fine).
    • Do a search on the specific model number of the drive, if you have one in mind.
    • See if you can run Rodries' USB Test Wii App on it. Post your log in the test forums for others.
    Best of luck to ya....

-[]D

3. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    if it'll work with a wbfs filesystem, it should also work with the much preferred FAT32 filesystem