WiiU Gamepad Switch mod

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by The Redeemer, Apr 22, 2014.

1. The Redeemer
    OP

The Redeemer Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2014
    France
    Nothing to see

2. DaFixer

DaFixer Dare to be stupid

Aug 29, 2010
    Netherlands
    In my mencave ;)
    Very nice, I see there is allot of free space for a bigger battery.
    Is the "better" battery also bigger in size?

EDIT:
    I see now that the better battery is also bigger ;)

3. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    charging cradle of no use to you ?

4. bowser

bowser Mwa ha ha ha!

Sep 1, 2008
    India
    GBAtemp ↑↑↓↓← → ← →BA
    He's talking about the gamepad dying completely from a full charge after a couple of weeks of not using it. That's because it never shuts off completely, it's always in some kind of standby mode, ready to wake up when the Wii U turns on.

5. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    gamepad charging cradle sounds like a perfect solution , i guess if you keep it plugged in , and trickle charging

6. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Not everyone has a cradle, and even so, constantly keeping it plugged in is just wasting electricity and possibly inducing wear in the battery, so why not just turn the pad completely off when not in use.

That said, cool idea, but I'd much rather just have a replacement battery door that doesn't use frickin screws. It's easy to disconnect the battery, but damn, I have to get out my screwdriver every time, what's wrong with old timey battery doors with latches? Those were perfectly cromulent.

7. The Redeemer
    OP

The Redeemer Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2014
    France
    And decreasing the Battery's life...

8. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    my gba sp still powers on and i haven't charged it for more than 5 years easy (although last time i checked the led was red, but still, it loads up) :)
    yet my psp and vita completely die if i don't touch them for like 3 weeks...
    surely if the only thing it needs to do is keep the clock correct, they could do that in a better way, my kindle keeps track of the time, and the battery lasts a long time...

9. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    pure bullshit. i leave mine in the cradle for months sometimes, i get out out once a week to check the shop and it's still going. you go ahead and add a switch to yours and btw you've just voided your warranty :lol:

pwsincd likes this.
  10. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    ok i get your point , so i let my wiiu pad go flat ... i plug in the charger and crack on playing... and seeing as its a black wiiu depicted , i would guess he does have a cradle.

Ah it aint much to charge a wiiu gamepad price wise , and if its on its ass flat for weeks at a time without use then you cant be that bothered about pluging in the charger lead and playing whilst charging...
    maybe pre lith ion and smart charging .

11. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    You do know that Nintendo has an official new battery, right?

Bladexdsl likes this.
  12. Parasite X

Parasite X Banned

Banned
    Jul 6, 2009
    United States
    Katy Tx
    You should get Nyko Power Boost its easy to install & it doesn't void your warranty but cool mod tho :)

13. The Redeemer
    OP

The Redeemer Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2014
    France
    Quote Wikipedia:
    "Rechargeable battery life is often stated in number of charge cycles, but depth of discharge is usually not explicitly stated. Apple Inc. clarify that a charge cycle means using all the battery's capacity, but not necessarily by full charge and discharge; e.g., using half the charge of a fully charged battery, charging it, and then using the same amount of charge again count as a single charge cycle."
    "capacity dropping linearly to 80% over 500 cycles"
    @the_randomizer @Parasite X
    A bigger Battery won't change the problem.

14. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    the internet is rife with battery bullshit , wikipedia not being a decent source of info... although there is always going to be a deprciation in the battery , its not as dramatic as whats being made out here , technology is such that lithium ion batteries along with the smart charging technoligies implemented cater for the issues you are raising , and are designed in to the end product to allow for things like cradle charging etc. The OP's switch method is a very crude method of battery saving , i applaude your efforts however crude they may be , but it really isnt an approach warranted or not warranty-ied as the case may be. (excuse the typo's vodka glasses are on)

15. nukeboy95

nukeboy95 Leave luck to heaven.

Aug 24, 2010
    United States
    not sure
    You know, has anyone thought of putting a QI charger in the gamepad?

16. The Redeemer
    OP

The Redeemer Member

Newcomer
    Mar 20, 2014
    France
    Thanks for all, for disgusting me to share anything more with this forum...

17. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    sure, but 500 cycles is like, 500 days? even a year? and 80% is still ok i guess...
    i don't want to have to make a big effort to charge it, if over the period of a year or two, it drops to 80%, because i make life easy and leave it in the cradle, it's not the end of the world, right?

18. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Huh, occasionally we do things we are think are good but turn out not to have the most scientific basis. Sucks but it does happen, nobody here was even unpleasant in informing you of this.

Had we still been in the 1990's there might have been some merit to this but modern chemistries and charge management, and for all else the Wii U might be it should at least have that, it is considerably less of an issue, indeed it is probably a non issue. Now I missed the original post but it might still have some merit if you wanted to still share it.

Now if you will excuse me it is a Wii U thread so a wind up is necessary. Some of you mentioned a warranty.... does it really matter when in about 2 years you can probably pick up an unused Wii U just by offering to replace your mate's door jam/mug coasters?