Wiikey install gone wrong? :\

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by War, Sep 3, 2008.

Sep 3, 2008

Wiikey install gone wrong? :\ by War at 4:49 AM (1,943 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I just got my Wiiclip + Wiikey in the mail today, and spent the afternoon dismantling the Wii and putting in the Wiiclip. I put everything back, burned the config disc, and put it in the Wii. The Wii boots normally, and everything looks fine. The only thing I notice is that it's a bit louder than usual... anyway, I put in the config disc (Sony DVD-R burned at 12x speed). Did not read it. I started getting a little worried. I used the same type of disc at 4x speed. Did not read. I start panicking. I try to play my original Brawl (NTSC-U, same as console) DOESN'T WORK. I tried with Resident Evil 4, my only other Wii game, and it does not work either.

Did I do something wrong? I followed the instructions perfectly, and made sure that the Wiiiclip was mounted on in the right place, and securely... the Wii looks fine menu-wise and everything D: I'm really worried...what should I do? Please don't tell me my Wii is broken...

EDIT: I forgot to say, the discs where burned using Nero... I just tried burning another copy, and I noticed something very strange. It was at 4x, and it said it was at 24%... it was going very slow, and suddenly, it said it was done. So maybe this is Nero's fault and not my Wii's? Still doesn't explain why i can't play my originals though...

2. Madridi

Member Madridi Card Collector

Qatar
    You are trying to burn the config disk correct?
    The reason why its 24% then done is probably because you didnt file chop it?
    you should use filechop on it to make it the exact same size as a gamecube image. (1.35 GB, forgot the exact bytes), and then try burning it on 4x (always go with 4x).

Other than that, I really donno what to tell you

3. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    Your wires might be crossed. I had the same issue as you and that was my problem.

4. wilsey

Newcomer wilsey Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    i always use DVD+Rs burned at 6X and never ever had a DRE, also using WiiKey + WiiClip

But as madridi4ever said they do need filechopped/padded to 1.35GB to be able to read

Here is the Config Disks ready to burn..

Config 1.4 PAL
    Config 1.4 US

Use ImgBurn to Burn at 6X speed and all should be good [​IMG]

5. ModchipCentral

Member ModchipCentral GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    He's using a Wiiclip.

Try using Verbatim DVD-R as the Sony ones could be your issue.

6. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda
    Do you get the gamecube logo in the disc channel when you have the config disc inserted ?

7. Kokorazashi

Member Kokorazashi GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I used IMGBurn but it seemed worst than using Nero 8. It gave a worst result when burning SSBB on DL than with Nero 8. I suppose if you can't find a torrent or buy Nero 8 then IMGBurn is your best option. Also make sure that you're using Verbatim Discs and burning at 4x speeds.

8. Madridi

Qatar
    Huh?
    Since when was the 1.4 config disc released? wasnt the one with 1.9s firmware v1.3?

9. wilsey

United Kingdom
    1.3 was released with 1.9G
    1.4 was released with 1.9S

on the wiikey site it says 1.9S config disk but it's really 1.4

10. Madridi

Qatar
    oh ok!
    Btw, I do have 1.9S, but havent had a chance to burn 1.4 config yet. As far as I remember, there were 2 versions of that, one with dev mode and classic ipl (beta config) and one without (the one actually on wiikey site), which one is better? and which one is the one you attached?

as for the recovery disc, I notice that there isnt one anymore, did they scrap that?

11. tempest.nano

Newcomer tempest.nano Member

United States
    Have you tried booting your games using gecko os? This can sidestep an issue where the wiikey is region locked to the wrong region.

12. wilsey

United Kingdom
    The one i posted has Dev mode and Block Updates on it, Newest.

Have never used the Recovery disk as i never needed it, i think the old one you can still use,

13. Madridi

Qatar
    any idea if the gcos included in 1.4 is the latest version or not?

14. wilsey

United Kingdom
    i dunno if it is or not

but if your lookin latest GCOS for Multidisk check out Multigame ISO Maker.

It includes the latest version

15. Veloxi

Member Veloxi GBAtemp Regular

Iceland
    Oh man... my Wiikey/Clip should be here tomorrow. Looks like we both have something to look forward to. Did you get it fixed yet? I got the 1.4US file from wilsey, so hopefully that works for both of us... but I had no idea there was setup involved after you install it.

If I get mine early tomorrow and you're still having problems, I'll post here if I can get it working!

16. wilsey

United Kingdom
    The setup really only involves you setting up region free and to block updates on disks
    you can also set the speed at which your drive spins at, 3X or 6X

17. thepspgamer

Newcomer thepspgamer Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    here is a question

i just ordered my wiikey with wiiclip right, so when i install it, and test my burned games, will they work right away or do i have insert the config disk first, because if i do, il dl and burn everything i need

could someone tell me the usual first steps after you install a wiikey

thanks

18. wilsey

United Kingdom
    well most wiikeys comes preloaded with 1.9G firmwire which is the 2nd latest

Your discs should work right away, the only one you should have a prob with is Smash Bros, thats what the 1.9S firmware fixes.

I know first disc i tried was Mario Galaxy PAL, which worked fine

After that i loaded the 1.9S firmware, Then 1.4 Config, Set it to Block Auto Updates From Discs, And Region Free, and never had to touch it again, all games load without hassle,

For wii games i just burn with IMGBURN at 6X
    For gamecube games i make a Multi Game Disc and burn the ISO with IMGBURN at 6X

Hope that helps some

19. thepspgamer

Newcomer thepspgamer Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    SSBB wont be a problem, i bought it [​IMG] so i wont have that issue as i found a way to get that working without problems on my PAL wii, without using a freeloader

so yea, thanks, i think for the sake of it, il download and run the config disk and update just so its there incase

thanks for the help, makes me feel better [​IMG]

20. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
    If I remember correctly you have to run the 1.9S update before you run the 1.4 (named "1.9S" on the site) config disk. May be a minor thing, but I'm sure that's how I did mine.

Don't want to be a prophet of doom, but another possible answer could be a clone/fake Wiikey ?