Wiikey firmware update... CD or DVD?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by NinjaGaijin, Feb 17, 2009.

Feb 17, 2009
  1. NinjaGaijin
    OP

Newcomer NinjaGaijin Member

United States
    I am trying to update the firmware on my wiikey, I have an original one, not the newer wiikey 2 or whatever it is. I have updated it is in the past without issue, but am having a hard time this time. I have downloaded the iso, burnt it to CD and tried to read it in the wii but it just spins and makes a strange noise in the drive and eventually the wii errors out. I have tried burning it to different cds at different speeds and everything to no avail. Does it need to be burned to a DVD to run the update? I don't remember how I did it last time.

Also, I read some people saying about softmodding "damaging the firmware of the wii". Can anyone expound on this statement? I have my wii softmodded as well (I accidentally update the firmware to 3.4, so I downgraded back to 3.2u using a softmod workaround). Should I remove all the softmod type stuff and just stick with the wiikey?

Thanks for any and all help

Tim

2. Diffusion

Member Diffusion GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The Wii drive doesn't read CDs.

3. NinjaGaijin
    OP

United States
    Ah hah, no wonder then, I must have burned it to a DVD in the past. Even though the iso is so tiny.

Thanks much sir, I will do the update tonight! Any thoughts on my latter statements?

4. david432111

Member david432111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    Softmods DON'T damage the firmware of your wii. If you wanted to you could at anytime remove all of that it would be like you never had installed homebrew. [​IMG]

5. NinjaGaijin
    OP

United States

I figured as much, I don't see how you could "damage" firmware. Thanks sir

6. david432111

Member david432111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    Actually you can. By updating your wii with a disk from another region, etc. But most likely you'll be fine, just stick with the more official routes and you'll be fine [​IMG]

7. NinjaGaijin
    OP

United States
    I see what you mean, but I don't think that would be damaging the firmware as much as it would be overwriting the firmware with another regions firmware, thus messing up your wii. I guess what I'm saying is that inherently you can't "damage" firmware.