Wiigator won't work

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by eternus, Nov 15, 2008.

Nov 15, 2008

Wiigator won't work by eternus at 3:28 PM (2,806 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. eternus
    OP

Newcomer eternus Member

Canada
    (By wiigator, I mean wiigator's backup launcher)
    + By the way, I have Homebrew version 9. I tried backup launcher v3 with the CIOS that came with it. The CIOS did all 15 steps fine without issue. I got the wad loader to work and can install wads no problem. BUT I cannot get the backup launcher to run any of the games I got. HELP!

I have been reading through all the posts and trying everything to get wiigator to work but my games won't run (my wii is not modded)! I tried 2 different types of DVD+R to burn the games and I think maybe it's the CIOS that is wrong. Does anyone know how I can check what version is installed?

The 2 games I have are: Soul Caliber Legends and Mortal Kombat. (both for NTSC which is what my system runs as anyhow) Both start up ok once I go through the Backup launcher but the screen goes black shortly after.

For Soul caliber I can even save a profile and see the intro video with sound and everything looks great but once I hit the start screen and get to the new quest screen, I get the message:

"An error has occurred, please eject the disk and turn the power off. Refer to your wii manual for instructions."

For Mortal Kombat, it shows me what controllers it accepts and then goes black screen and I notice that my wii remote's lights all go off and won't come back on.

Any help, please?

2. HaniKazmi

Member HaniKazmi GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    Only dvd-r work. Either use those, or set booktype to dvd-r

3. Beatchu

Member Beatchu GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    dvd+r do work... just not often

4. grubbymitts

Member grubbymitts GBAtemp Regular

Mortal Kombat doesn't work yet, so stop burning that. Also - use -R discs at 2.4x burn

5. Lafie

Member Lafie GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    It has been made clear a bizillion times already, that burning at a slow speed does not guarantee a better burn. Burning at the speed the disc is rated for, is the best way to go. DVD+R almost never work without booktyping, but with booktyping they 'always' work. Mortal Kombat indeed does not work, however, you should be able to get Soul Calibur to work.

6. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    I tested several tdk dvd+r's on a softmodded wii, they're all working just fine

7. eternus
    OP

Newcomer eternus Member

Canada
    Thanks for the tips! I'm going to go out and buy some dvdr - right now. Will post again if it works!

I'll stay away from Mortal Kombat for now.

8. eternus
    OP

Newcomer eternus Member

Canada
    So, I tried with SONY DVDR-. Same result as I was getting with DVDR+ (TDK and SONY brands). I even tried two different DVD writers and same results. So, I'm inclined to think I do have a CIOS issue. I would like to properly uninstall and reinstall everything but with all the posts on all different versions, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what is the latest that will work (Homebrew channel, Backup Launcher, CIOS).

Can someone help me with instructions on uninstalling CIOS and reinstalling it (preferably a wad type file to uninstall CIOS)? Something without using the Internet would make me feel more confortable. Does such a package (e.g. wad) exist?

9. eternus
    OP

Newcomer eternus Member

Canada
    By the way, the exact error messages I'm getting (in case someone in the future does a search) are:

"An error has occurred.
    Press the Eject button, remove the
    game disk, and turn the power off.
    Please read the wii operations manual
    for more information."

10. bozzer123

Member bozzer123 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I get that on lego batman and guitar hero "rock-band edition"

11. eternus
    OP

Newcomer eternus Member

Canada
    GOT IT!

All I did was removed the CIOS and reinstalled the latest.

So, I used the CIOS uninstaller v.1.1. Then I ran the wad installer and installed CIOS 249 rev7. Then.... IT WORKED! Not only that but my TDK DVDR+ with Soul caliber worked as well as the Sony DVDR-.

So, it was the CIOS after all. I used Infrarecorder (freeware) at 4x speed to burn the TDK DVDR+ and imgburn (2.4.2) at 2.4x speed to burn the Sony DVDR-. Both worked fine.

Mortal Kombat does not work (see screen showing me which remotes are compatible but then crashes). However, I was told above this game does not yet work so that's ok.

Thanks everyone. Hope my explanation of what worked helps someone else in the future with this error.

By the way I'm using wiishizza channel setup to load up the DVD's. Works great.

[​IMG]

12. Ashlee

Newcomer Ashlee Advanced Member

United States
    DVD+R doesn't work well, I played Mario Kart and it would freeze sometimes in the Intro video, and Disaster Day of Crisis freezes on a loading screen of the second level, I burned on DVD_R and they just worked perfect!

13. eternus
    OP

Newcomer eternus Member

Canada

bozzer123:

I have a backup of Lego Batman on a DVDR- and it works fine with the correct CIOS installed.