Wii won't read sd card

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Tonitonichopchop, Jan 3, 2010.

Jan 3, 2010
  1. Tonitonichopchop
    OP

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I have been using the same sd card for homebrew since I first used homebrew. Until now I haven't had any problems with it, but I now have a very bad problem.

When I insert the sd card into the wii, the wii doesn't recozinze it anywhere. I can't read it from the wii menu or the hbc. I wasn't sure what the problem was, but since it didn't work anywhere I thought to check if it would work in my computer. It worked there and all files were accesible. I copied the contents to my hdd, formatted the sd card, and then copied them back and the problem still persisted.

Here's the facts. I will be very mad if you don't at least read these:

I have used the sd card since I had homebrew. It is the same wii and same sd card

I was playing a sega genesis rom and I noticed my game wouldn't let me write a save state. I turned the power off after that.

That's when the problem happened and I did the steps above. I've determined it is a problem with my wii

Please don't tell me to do anything I already did above, okay?

2. Sabin_Figaro

Member Sabin_Figaro GBAtemp Regular

Colombia
    try another card?

3. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Exactly. If another card also doesn't works, it maybe the Hardware (SD-Slot) that is damaged. Then it's time to send it to Nintendo, I guess...

4. Tonitonichopchop
    OP

United States
    Wish I had one. I've used the one for a long time and never really needed a new one. Is it possible to change the homebrew to load through usb?

5. Blue-K

Switzerland
    Search?

Anyways:

-HBC 1.0.6 can load Homebrew from USB. Same directories as on SD. Though, it's rather slow at loading, and maybe some Apps won't work (that's only a guess, no proof!)...try it out.
    -Many forwarder Channels can load from USB too
    -Most USBLoaders can also save the Config/Covers/etc. there

6. wadzinsky

Newcomer wadzinsky Advanced Member

United States
    ToniToniChopChop

I had the same problem once before. It was the day I softmodded. My wii temporarily lost its ability to write to the SD. I could read just fine, but not write. (and the write protect was off -- I checked)... Then miraculously it worked again after a few hours. I was pulling my hair out. Did you try unplugging the power supply from the Wii for a few minutes and then try it again?

Blue-K

in order for the HBC to load from usb, does the FAT partition have to be before the WBFS or after? Mine is after the WBFS partition but HBC won't see it. I am using HBC 1.0.6.

Many of the threads are confusing. Some that I've read say that the FAT partition has to be first for HBC to see it, but some of the USB loaders threads say the WBFS partition has to be first to load games from USB. I guess it really comes down to this. I'd choose USB loading over USB Homebrew. but i WOULD like to have both.

Thanks

7. Blue-K

Switzerland
    FAT32 First and WBFS Second is the best Setup which always works. I never experienced any problems with this Settup. Though, some Loader and Apps don't care where the Partitions are. It's possible to let the App Search for the FAT32-Partition, but Team Twiizers and many other Coders didn't integrated that. Though, you can maybe try USBLoader GX...maybe it can do the job for loading Homebrew of the Second Partition...

8. wadzinsky

Newcomer wadzinsky Advanced Member

United States
    Thanks, I'll give that a try

9. George Dawes

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    putting the fat partition first makes the most sense.

Some apps require the fat partition to be the first active partition. all loaders can load games from a wbfs partition no matter where it is on the drive.

10. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

The way libfat searches for a fat/fat32 partition was changed a few months, so any new or recent homebrew should be able to find it if it's not the first.

11. Tonitonichopchop
    OP

United States
    It worked later. Who knows what the hell it was, but I don't seem to be having any problems now. Thanks for the help anyway guys.