Hacking Wii With No Disk Drive

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Wii's disk drive just got fried. When I turn my Wii on, the fuse blows, but if I remove the disk drive, then everything works. However, for some reason, every USB loader I've tried will not load my games anymore. I've tried different formatting and using an SD card instead of a USB stick. Nothing works. After searching the internet, I found ONE THREAD about the same issue, but the person in there only wanted to replace their working disk drive with an HDD. (btw, that is very out of date. Now you can get 512GB SD cards :P) The solution in that thread was to keep the circuit board from the disk drive, but throw away the mechanics. Unless someone here knows what to do, I'll be out $30 for a new disk drive.

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The wii requires that the disc drive be attached in order to work

Are you sure there isn't a special loader or cIOS that allows games to run without the disk drive? It doesn't seem like a hardware problem. Every part of the Wii works perfectly, except USB loaded Wii games. The game loads normally, but as soon as it runs, the screen goes black and it says "Error the disk cannot be read! Please turn off the system and consult the Wii Operations Manual.". That seems like a software issue to me.

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took the disc drive out of a wii, keeping the circuit board, and stuck a 2TB My Passport in it, cutting a hole in the back for the usb cord. It works great.

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I took the disc drive out of a wii, keeping the circuit board, and stuck a 2TB My Passport in it, cutting a hole in the back for the usb cord. It works great.

As I stated above, the circuit board is the part that is damaged. :(
PS: 2TB!?! Really? Wow! I would think that 500GB would be enough for every video game you could ever want! :unsure:

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I stated above, the circuit board is the part that is damaged. :(
PS: 2TB!?! Really? Wow! I would think that 500GB would be enough for every video game you could ever want! :unsure:
Not really, when you figure 300 wii games,100+ wiiwares, 400 gamecube games, 500+ PS1 games, then all your retro nintendos, segas, Neo Geos, and the like. Then there's music and movies.

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what? how do you do that?
don't you need an interface like this
http://www.shop01media.com/en/Nintendo-Wii-mod-chip-SunDriver-SATA

how can you put a HDD directly into the wii optical disc without this? or you mean you just connected it to the USB?
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Passport-Ultra-Portable/dp/B00E055H5O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426984437&sr=8-1&keywords=2tb my passport
Take it out of the housing, stick a thin piece of foam rubber on each side. Open your wii, remove the disc drive, but keep the circuit board attached. Cut a small notch out of the wii shell right next to the video port to run the USB cable out, stick the HDD in at a 45 degree angle (only way it'll fit) and close it back up.

Whoops! Mods, please merge.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr