Hacking Wii Shop Channel

Clowny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi, I've got specific questions regarding the Wii shop channel.

If I want access to it I need to (partially) update my wii (Firmware 3.2). If I got the guides right, that would mean installing cios 60/61 and that way I could avoid installing the whole 4.0 update.

1. As stated in the policy, would this small update enable N to update my Wii's firmware without me noticing?

2. (If yes,) Does this update only occur, while I'm active in the wii shop channel or does any connection by a game for example give them access?

3. Can I uninstall the 4.0 Wii shop channel to minimize the risk of my Wii being updated without my knowledge?

Thanks for your replies!

Det1re

det1re.de
Trophies
Website
det1re.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
1. It can... but until now it hasn't been done.

2. The update could only be done while your Wii is in the main menu. If you turn off WiiConnect24 you should be completely safe.

3. The shop channel isn't the one what does the updates. It may want an update to install IOS61. You can't uninstall the shop channel... unless you use AnyTitle Deleter.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1. No it couldn't. It's in the policy but Nintendo don't have the code in the System Menu to allow such a thing to happen. Even if they could do it, I believe the code would have to be in the System Menu, not an IOS, so this would be safe anyway. But the code doesn't exist anywhere yet, so they can't auto-update you no matter what firmware you are on.

2. My answer was no, so the update wont occur

3. Question is stupid. The shop channel has never been able to update the Wii. It just tells you to update and wont work until you do.

Also, it's not cIOS 60 and 61 you need to install, it's IOS 60 and 61, and you must also update the Shop Channel. WiiSCU can do all this.

Clowny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think it is related to hacking, since if there was the possibility to auto update the Wii it could interfere with/rule out the hacking methods used right now. I want to keep my installed stuff working, so that is why I ask.

But never mind, probably a pointless discussion. Thanks for the answers so far, although they kind of contradict each other.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water