wii in my closet

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by jochendude, Jul 5, 2011.

Jul 5, 2011

wii in my closet by jochendude at 7:55 AM (1,020 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. jochendude
    OP

Newcomer jochendude Member

Belgium
    Hi everyone,

This week i'm going to buy my first wii [​IMG]
    Sold my 3Ds by the lack of good games.

I have a flatscreen (tv) hanging on the wall above a gass fireplace.
    My dvd player and others are in a closed behind the tv. (on the side)
    I was wondering if my controllers will be able to go 'through' the closet to the wii ?
    Or must i buy a wireless wii sensor bar ?

Any tips ?

2. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    if the wii isn't too far way from the TV then you can just take the sensor bar out and place it near the TV.

A wireless sensor bar would keep thing's neat and tidy but they do cost some money

3. mechadylan

Member mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The Wii sensor bar cable is pretty long. I've had no experience with the wireless sensor bars as I've never encountered this problem. If I ever did, I'd probably consider a Wii sensor bar extension cable. I actually just came across an 18 footer for about $7 on Amazon.

4. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    It should go through the glass no problem, as long as there are no other bright light sources in the room (lamps, ESPECIALLY NO OPEN WINDOWS).

Going on what mechadylan said, instead of even buying an extension cable, you could hack a USB port onto the end (5v powers it just fine, I have one hooked to my pc this way). Though, the cost of picking up a 100 foot spool of 22 gauge wire and a male USB plug would likely be just as much as an extension, and the extension would be less of a hack job. But, if you like DIY projects, this is a very simple one.

5. Ryoku83

Member Ryoku83 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    The remotes will work if your wii is in a cabinet or whatever, i've had my sister turn on my wii from upstairs when she borrowed one of my remotes for her wii (that sounds so bad ...). However the sensor bar must be above or below your tv in the center otherwise the games that use the motion function of the remotes will not work properly.

6. mechadylan

Member mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    o.O Whoa, I never even thought of that. If you're anything like me, you probably have at least a few dozen feet of 22 gauge wire and a couple of defunct USB devices that wouldn't mind having their male part snipped. Ouch.

Plasma, can the USB Wii sensor bar be plugged into either port on the Wii? How about a hub? This DIY intrigues me.

7. jochendude
    OP

Newcomer jochendude Member

Belgium
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Wireless wii sensor bar it is [​IMG]

8. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    Keep in mind that those things suck down batteries fast, so if you play the Wii a lot, you will constantly be purchasing AA's.

9. PsyBlade

Member PsyBlade Snake Charmer

Germany
    any usb port will do(hub,pc,wii,...)
    if the hub is self powerd it probable doesent even need to be connected to another usbport

or you could use any old 5v power adapter

or you can replace the whole "sensor" bar with two IR emitters because thats all the thing really is
    I even used two candles for some days, stylish but a bit jittery due to the flicker

10. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    My lad nicks my wiimotes while Im at work and sync's them to his and then puts 'em back in the charge stand when done. As Im frantically attempting to turn mine on via Wiimote, its actually turned his on upstairs. I reckon you'll be fine [​IMG]

11. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Just 1 question does the Gas Heater have visible flames at the front that just might interfere with your inferred sensor.