Wii in HD?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by sjones900, Aug 16, 2008.

Aug 16, 2008

Wii in HD? by sjones900 at 1:32 AM (2,734 Views / 0 Likes) 26 replies

1. sjones900
    OP

Member sjones900 GBAtemp Advanced Member

United States
    I have question the Wii can't Display anything beyond 480p right? So is this a hardware issue or a software issue?

The Reason i'm asking this is because I don't want to buy a new Wii that can Display HD and the old one collects dust =/

2. noONE

Member noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    There wont be a second model wii that displays in HD.. as the Wii doesn't have the power for it..
    it would need a extra processing chip or something, and then the games would have to support it..
    so no, it wont ever support HD.
    other than that.. the next nintendo console will probably have HD..

3. sjones900
    OP

United States
    oh ok..............that sucks why wasn't HD included from the start everyone looks down on the wii and now theres another reason to. I hope Nintendo gets their shit together and come up with something thats actually revolutionary.

4. jinxvorheeze

Member jinxvorheeze GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well that's why they changed the name then from Revolution. [​IMG] HD wasn't included from the start because the console is not powerful enough to handle displaying HD.

5. sjones900
    OP

United States
    Thats what I said why didn't they give it THE POWER. This always bothers me, Nintendo ALWAYS makes stupid mistakes like this, eventually you will need HD because everyone is making the move from SD to HD and in 3 years SD televisions will not exsist, but the Wii will and it will not be able to display HD.

6. alex

Member alex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    By the time Nintendo makes and HD console, there will be something better, like how Digital TVs are killing Antenna TVs. There will be HG(Hologram) view before Nintendo makes an HD console. XD

7. Defiance

Member Defiance oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...

United States
    Nintendo always seems to be a generation behind...

8. dogman

Member dogman GBAtemp Regular

Chile
    if I'm not mistaken, it was gunpei yokoi who made nintendo have this philosophy: to work with cheap, useful, proved-to-work technology, and make it do new revolutionary things. You can see it worked with the game boy: it was in black and white, working with an old LCD. Every other hand held out there tried to take market from them with a colored screen, but it was because of this black and white LCD that the gameboy used less batteries, thus winning in battery life terms.

Sure, nintendo may be a generation behind in technology, but it's what they make with last generation's technology what's so great about them.

9. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    No HD amongst other things is why the Wii is relatively cheap compared the other players in the market as well.

It's kinda funny, though, that last generation, the weakest of the consoles turned out to be the best--and it's shaping that way here too, it seems [​IMG]

10. gratefulbuddy

Member gratefulbuddy amateur lunatic

United States
    I disagree with the "games would have to support it" thought. There are many games currently that can only run in 480i. If Progressive mode isn't supported by all games, why would HD "have to" be?

11. IOwnAndPwnU

Member IOwnAndPwnU GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    If it doesn't ... it would be out of date probably?

12. Brainy142

Member Brainy142 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    The system will never do more than 480p even though the xbox did it. (the wii Is virtually just an xbox 1.5)

It has the capacity but nintendo wanted to save money

13. noONE

Member noONE ~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweden
    Yeah, well i kinda "lied" a bit, sure they would work, but they wouldn't be made with HD in mind, and thus not look as good as they could've been.
    But knowing Nintendo, this will never happen..

14. Prime

Member Prime GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Casual Gamers don't care for HD, Hence the wii can't output HD.

*Puts on flame suit*

15. atomiccow

Newcomer atomiccow Advanced Member

United States
    I never really saw the lack of HD as any sort of downfall. I own an HDTV and all, I just.. don't care. It's not like HD makes playing games any more fun. If I want HD and awesome graphics, I go for my PC. Console graphics and resolution can't (and will most likely never) hold a candle to PC graphics and resolution. In all fairness, this is mostly due to that PC's are constantly being updated.

Anyway, to get back on topic, HD isn't everything. I also wouldn't be worried about HD tv's "phasing out" SD devices/signals, since they can just be upscaled, even though they'll still just look like SD. The lack of HD also makes the console drastically cheaper.

16. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    They'll probably have to use HD next gen. Wii still has the exact same max output resolution as Dreamcast, and that launched in 1998 for Japan.

How many new SD TVs over 20" do you even see on shelves anymore?

17. atomiccow

Newcomer atomiccow Advanced Member

United States
    Oh, I'm sure they'll use HD next gen, because by then, it'll be a standard.

I mainly meant that SD devices will still work with HDTV's. But by next gen, I would expect HD to be standard in everything, whether it's really that necessary or not.

18. Hybridx24

Member Hybridx24 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You know what, I actually like it better that way... I think consoles are moving a bit too fast, they don't even give us a chance to play all the games that came out. [​IMG]

19. Hit

Member Hit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Actually Wii Support 720P over component cables
    That's HD Ready, it's ok, my Macbook's screen is just a little more then that(So Great to watch 720P movies on my screen [​IMG])

20. Gore

Member Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Nintendo already said that the next console will have HD, but as of yet not enough people have HDTVs for it to be worthwhile to make it more expensive and less people be interested in it.

Bold is more along exactly what Nintendo said.

And "Alex", saying this "By the time Nintendo makes and HD console, there will be something better, like how Digital TVs are killing Antenna TVs. There will be HG(Hologram) view before Nintendo makes an HD console. XD"

Every single post I see from you is wrong. :|