Hacking Wii DVD firmware flashing?

HellraiserUK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there any reason why no-one has reverse engineered the Wii DVD firmware to allow a 360-style modchip to be implemented? Flashing the firmware could potentially allow the D3-2 drives to read DVD-R as I assume it is the firmware that rejects the disk rather than there being any physical reason for the disks not reading?

Hellraiser...........>

HellraiserUK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Perhaps, but not every Wii user has the knowledge to transfer .ISOs to a USB hard disk, nor wants to spend money on one
smile.gif

Hellraiser..........>

Gangboy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
HellraiserUK said:
Perhaps, but not every Wii user has the knowledge to transfer .ISOs to a USB hard disk, nor wants to spend money on one
smile.gif

Hellraiser..........>

I do agree on this one. Know some ppl that don't mod their Wii just because they don't want to buy all the extra stuff.
smile.gif

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah thats true flashing a drive is so much easier everyone can do that. And 10$ for a USB flash drive is too much money not many people can afford that.

Gangboy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Magsor said:
Yeah thats true flashing a drive is so much easier everyone can do that. And 10$ for a USB flash drive is too much money not many people can afford that.
It's not about making it easier for the beginner/normal users, just buying a SD card and harddrive (flash drive is a little bit small for iso's, even when scrubbed) costs them too much.

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my opinion, if you're so cheap that you can't pay for a 8GB thumb drive to play wii games, you shouldn't have bought the console in the first place.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The D3-2 drive works fine. It just does not read backup. But you can rip your games with it my 8 year old nephew does it himself...

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Let's analyze, you say you can't afford an usb flash drive, but buying dvd's aren't any cheaper than buying a flash drive. In the long run buying dvd's will be more expensive than having an external drive.

and about people not knowing how to transfer isos to usb flash is hard to believe these days. You can use a simple app like Wii backup manager to transfer games with the click of a button.

HellraiserUK

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not saying I can't afford a USB drive, nor am I saying USB is the way to go - all I was asking was if there was some reason why no-one seems to have pursued flashing the DVD firmware. As it is a ROM, then that would explain it. Cheers to SanGor for actually answering the question asked, rather than ranting on about people being cheap
smile.gif

Hellraiser.........>

Burton

Real Life VIP and Educator
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
HellraiserUK said:
I'm not saying I can't afford a USB drive, nor am I saying USB is the way to go - all I was asking was if there was some reason why no-one seems to have pursued flashing the DVD firmware. As it is a ROM, then that would explain it. Cheers to SanGor for actually answering the question asked, rather than ranting on about people being cheap
smile.gif

Hellraiser.........>

I reply directly to your second post as it implies what I replied. Yes Mr SanGor gave you the answer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @BigOnYa series S is the way to go, its a bargain for a capable system