Wii DVD firmware flashing?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by HellraiserUK, Dec 16, 2010.

Dec 16, 2010
  1. HellraiserUK
    OP

Newcomer HellraiserUK Newbie

United Kingdom
    Is there any reason why no-one has reverse engineered the Wii DVD firmware to allow a 360-style modchip to be implemented? Flashing the firmware could potentially allow the D3-2 drives to read DVD-R as I assume it is the firmware that rejects the disk rather than there being any physical reason for the disks not reading?

Hellraiser...........>

2. Hyrule2008

Newcomer Hyrule2008 Member

Germany
    Dont know... but i doesnt see any physical reason.
    But there is no need for, since USBLoader ist more comfortable.

3. HellraiserUK
    OP

United Kingdom
    Perhaps, but not every Wii user has the knowledge to transfer .ISOs to a USB hard disk, nor wants to spend money on one [​IMG]

Hellraiser..........>

4. Gangboy

Newcomer Gangboy Advanced Member

Netherlands
    I do agree on this one. Know some ppl that don't mod their Wii just because they don't want to buy all the extra stuff. [​IMG]

5. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    Yeah thats true flashing a drive is so much easier everyone can do that. And 10$ for a USB flash drive is too much money not many people can afford that.

6. Gangboy

Newcomer Gangboy Advanced Member

Netherlands
    It's not about making it easier for the beginner/normal users, just buying a SD card and harddrive (flash drive is a little bit small for iso's, even when scrubbed) costs them too much.

7. Tonitonichopchop

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    In my opinion, if you're so cheap that you can't pay for a 8GB thumb drive to play wii games, you shouldn't have bought the console in the first place.

8. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    The D3-2 drive works fine. It just does not read backup. But you can rip your games with it my 8 year old nephew does it himself...

9. SanGor

Member SanGor Witchhunter

United States
    the answer is simple, the drives FW is stored on a ROM, where on the 360 it's stored on FLASH.

10. Burton

Member Burton Real Life VIP and Educator

Puerto Rico
    Let's analyze, you say you can't afford an usb flash drive, but buying dvd's aren't any cheaper than buying a flash drive. In the long run buying dvd's will be more expensive than having an external drive.

and about people not knowing how to transfer isos to usb flash is hard to believe these days. You can use a simple app like Wii backup manager to transfer games with the click of a button.

11. HellraiserUK
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'm not saying I can't afford a USB drive, nor am I saying USB is the way to go - all I was asking was if there was some reason why no-one seems to have pursued flashing the DVD firmware. As it is a ROM, then that would explain it. Cheers to SanGor for actually answering the question asked, rather than ranting on about people being cheap [​IMG]

Hellraiser.........>

12. Burton

Member Burton Real Life VIP and Educator

Puerto Rico
    I reply directly to your second post as it implies what I replied. Yes Mr SanGor gave you the answer.