Wifi Possibilities?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Kekkon, Sep 24, 2008.

Sep 24, 2008

Wifi Possibilities? by Kekkon at 4:24 PM (1,815 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. Kekkon
    OP

Member Kekkon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    How much of wifi do we have available to us for homebrew purposes?

I was thinking earlier about the possibilities for Wii homebrew, and I thought of a couple thing involving wifi:
    1. Wii as a hotspot.
    Just as it sounds, for us who don't HAVE wifi normally, would it be possible to connect the Wii using a wired connection, then use a homebrew to create a connectable wifi signal from the Wii? For use with things like a DS and other wifi devices.

2. Pokemon Events.
    For those once in a lifetime Nintendo events that give you items that allow you to go to areas with special Pokemon, well those items are normally obtained by using the mystery gift 'get via wireless' funtion.
    So what if you made a simple program that could allow you to get those items? All you need is a wifi transfer ability, and the knowledge of the coding of the games, which I'm sure can be found by messing around with an action replay, or cracking open a ROM of the game.
    This would be of course for us who'll never see one of these events, and don't have the moolah for a cheat device.

What do you guys think?

2. atomikramp

Member atomikramp GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    more interesting would be a bittorrent client for the wii to run from the homebrew channel [​IMG]

3. Kekkon
    OP

Member Kekkon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    well if you were going to download music or something to the SD card then maybe, but otherwise there's not really enough space for anything good >_>

4. atomikramp

Member atomikramp GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    with hd support.

5. mowfax

Newcomer mowfax Member

Germany
    yeah download clients like torrent or rapidshare downloader like jdownloader would be totally cool and could save a lot of energy cost here [​IMG]

6. ciper

Member ciper GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Make a Warp Pipe client for the Wii.

Back in the gamecube days Warp Pipe ran on your PC and allowed internet multiplayer in games like Mario Kart and Kirbys Air Ride.

Its an understatement to say i was PISSED that Nintendo broke network connectivity with the Wii. All of us who purchased the Gamecube network adapter were fucked once when they stopped making compatible games and then fucked again when the Wii didnt support it even though networking was included.

7. Jran Sakarra

Member Jran Sakarra GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well that is kinda poinetless since the Deoxys Cart was Dumped and we learned how to hack it, allowing us to change it to other events/

8. skedone

Member skedone GBAtemp Fan

United States
    when i look at this post i thought of a idea strait away someone should code kismit or airsnort of the wii [​IMG]

9. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    Since I'm curious...

Exactly where are Wii Points stored? Wouldn't it be possible to change the amount you have, using homebrew?

10. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Its very likely not stored on the wii.

11. supersonic88

Member supersonic88 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    you know what i want wifi wise? the ability to play emulators (snes, nes, ect) over wifi...aka netplay

12. RickBruiser

Newcomer RickBruiser Advanced Member

Canada
    That'd kick ass. Though there's Zbattle and kaillera, directly through the wii would just give it more spice to it.

13. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Now that would be good, i think its fairly possible too seeing as some pc emulators have netplay.

14. RickBruiser

Newcomer RickBruiser Advanced Member

Canada
    Indeed! I've pretty much have enough of that FC things, that'd be cool to have some kind of lobby worked on kinda like xlink or something. Maybe a chatroom through wifi homebrew whatever thingie.. It's just ideas like that. That'd be cool to play goldeneye (full speed obviously) with some people over the interwerbs through the homebrew channel.

15. supersonic88

Member supersonic88 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    exactly what i was thinking, crap maybe when wii speak comes out voice chat cant be programed into it too

16. night_chrono

Member night_chrono GBAtemp Regular

United States
    And since we are all just throwing our hopes out there let me add some of mine!

I hope my Wii will automatically turn itself on every day at 12:34 PM EXACTLY and make me breakfast while it hacks into Wall Street and actually fixes things!

Seriously, if you have a computer that is good enough to post on a forum, it is good enough to run net play on an emulator.

As for turning it into a wifi hotspot, all I have to say is GO GET AN ACCESS POINT FOR $20. Seriously it would be better signal strength anyways.

As a bit torrent client, it seems doable but not likely. Although if a torrent client AND HDD loader were both released it would be cool to download the ISO's into the folder you boot them from.

EDIT
    Also these topics are getting old. In fact they are already old. Why create a topic just to say that you want to see some wii homebrew program. If you want it so bad go make it yourself. The forum already gets enough clutter from all the "OMG ISO LOADER" topics

17. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    A network adapter for Wii Linux?

Would be nice if there was a Wuubuntu.

18. skedone

Member skedone GBAtemp Fan

United States
    WOW some people on here amaze me and im talking about your

"EDIT
    Also these topics are getting old. In fact they are already old. Why create a topic just to say that you want to see some wii homebrew program. If you want it so bad go make it yourself. The forum already gets enough clutter from all the "OMG ISO LOADER" topics"

look up what a forum is mate because you seem to have no idea

as for kismet and airsnort yes i might just do that i have all ready for the symbian devices with wifi

this web site seems to have gone to the dogs in last few months shame really

oh and yes wiiubuntu would be very kewl seeing as i use kubuntu

19. night_chrono

Member night_chrono GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Believe it or not I have a clue as to what forums are about.

Since this one is given the designation of "Wii - Hacking" lets start with that.

This thread accomplishes nothing in Wii Hacking. There is no new discovery, no new program, no new announcement of any up coming program, or no request for help in a previously existing program.

It is nothing more then saying "In a perfect world XXXXXXXXX would happen"

As for all the "ideas" posted on this thread I sincerely doubt anyone who posted them will create them, much less someone else do it.

That is my problem with this thread. It is clutter, it accomplishes nothing.