Why is it called the "Nintendo"?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by JonahRinberg, Aug 12, 2017.

1. JonahRinberg
    OP

JonahRinberg GBAtemp Regular

Dec 18, 2016
    United States
    The Homebrew Ocean
    Recently, I was watching this video of an old woman trying to stay sharp by playing Brain Age on the DSL

While, I was watching, she referred to the DS as a Nintendo. Then it got me thinking. A lot of casuals and non-gamers usually call Nintendo systems, the Nintendo. My mom calls it that, some of my friends call it that, I see people calling it that at the gaming section at my local store. What is up with that? Why do people not call the Xbox or Playstation the "Microsoft" or the "Sony"?

This is super minor but do people seriously just don't know what Nintendo calls their own systems?

2. Disharmony16

Disharmony16 ~DooM-BringeR~

Aug 31, 2015
    United States
    Troll Islands
    Because it is Nintendo Entertaiment System, Super Nintendo, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo Switch and more that make one call it Just nintendo, i never see names like Sony Playstation 1 or Microsoft Xbox and well that is my reason.

3. targren

targren Member

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2017
    United States
    From the NES - Nintendo Entertainment System, got shortened down to Nintendo, and stuck. Before video game appeal spread to the masses, all video games were "Nintendo" for awhile.

4. ForeverEternal

ForeverEternal GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2016
    United States
    The same reason why people called any portable cassette player a walkman or any portable cd-player a discman.

First of is kind, so people adopted the first branding for future brandings of the same product.

5. YamiZee

YamiZee GBAtemp Regular

Aug 18, 2013
    Finland
    because all nintendo products say nintendo on them, and is more of a word than wii or ds so it sticks better

6. markehmus

markehmus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 26, 2008
    Canada
    in the GAME
    mom still calls the ps4 my nintendo when she references it , wiierd cuz the first console i had was a leisure vision and the second an atari ... but all my consoles since NES have been generalized into one 'NINTENDO'