ALX1982

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I want to replace my current router with a wireless router so I can use the Wi-Fi on my Wii.

I've been looking at these two: "D-Link DI-524" and "Netgear WGR614"
I've read about routers and compability but am still confused :S

Does someone who knows about this stuff know if any of these will work with my Wii?
Of course I will put a password on the wlan, but I read that this in some cases will cause the Wii connection not to work.
Also read somewhere that the compability can depend on the hardware version of the router.

Generally confused now :S

woodoste

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Nahhh all routers work, cheap ones too.
You just need to update the firmware and set configuration correctly.

BTW Netgear is better than D-Link.
I own a Netgear DG834GT and it works like a charm with games and p2p
smile.gif

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'd go for the D-Link, they're not meant to be too bad. From personal experience I've had nothing but trouble with Netgear routers. The first router I bought was a netgear and it'd drop the connection consistently around the same time of day. Got a replacement, same thing. Got another replacement that was a different model netgear, now the wireless didn't work.
In the end I got a linksys and it's been rock solid since.
smile.gif

Olyfes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
An sitecom SITECOMWL-340 Internet Router here .

Works great here . Download torrents up to 2MB (with limewire offcouse) . Great speed ..

I Don't really know a load of routers , but this one we got at home and works good.

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
I'd go with the D-Link. It's the same model as I got and I love it. Netgear can go to hell. My aunt has one and it's like hell. Unstable connection and all.

Get the D-Link 524 or just look for a better newer model like the wireless-N. Im going to replace my D-Link 524 for a Wireless N but Im still having second thoughts as the D-Link 524 really met my expectations

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am using an ASUS RT-N11 with Multi-SSID to connect my DS and without compromising security for the PCs and the Wii connected to it. Unfortunately, to shut down and re-start the insecure connection, the entire router needs to be restarted. So I would recommend two access points for a setup like that.

For just a Wii, pretty much any setup should be fine, as long as it has the range you need.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Actually I've got a related question.
I'm also thinking of buying a wireless router, because right now I'm using a Nintendo USB Wi-Fi dongle, and in order for it to work, my PC has to be on naturally.
Now I'd like to know if my PC has to be on for the wireless router to work with the Wii or DS.
Or after I set it up I don't need the PC, but just the connection and the cable modem to be on ?

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Netgear is by far better than Netgear. But some Netgear routers have a problem with Nintendo Wifi Connection. When I owned a Netgear, I could play random matches, but I'd always be kicked off when playing with a friend.

I got a lynksys and everything has been running smoothly.

Netgear Routers are sexy as hell, but I recommend getting the uglier, lyksys. Its my preferred device.

2takker

Trophies
XP
Country
In my opinion, any router is just as good as the others...

What you should look for is the routers specs and not the brand ^^' just as long as it can run with 802.11n you should be good
smile.gif

Am0s

Mojo Risin
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
personally I would choose linksys or a D-link, thompson speedtouch are ok but mine tends to over heat and have to power cycle it once or twice a week, netgear I dont like as they have had alot of issues with firmware in the past, when I worked for an ISP 100 people a day would ring in about their netgear routers the problem at that time was the routers firmware.

I used a sitecom when I was on cable and never had an issue with it

hunnymonster

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd recommend Linksys over either of Netgear & D-link... (or a Cisco if you're John D. Rockefeller
smile.gif
)

Netgear technical support (should you ever need it) is neither technical nor supportive in my experience - if you can read the articles in the knowledgebase and they fix your issue, great - beyond that the script-jockeys at Netgear can't (or won't help) - I had an issue that was down to the wireless part in a Netgear router - they fixed the v1 & v3 hardware from having the fault but not the v2 (which predictably I had)... I fixed it myself in the end using a donor part from a differently dead v3.

D-Link - I had no end of issues with a D-Link way back that meant that the router needed a hard restart every 5-6 hours (restarting it via the web interface didn't cut the mustard - helpfully it lead to a rise in my target SNR on the DSL line which lead to lower achieved syncs. I came to the conclusion that "D Link" sounding like "delink" wasn't a coincidence.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo