which program to partition 1tb external hd

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Zalda, Apr 17, 2009.

Apr 17, 2009
  1. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    which program to use (free) to partition my external 1 td
    i have vista 64bit

2. jboy41

Newcomer jboy41 Newbie

United States
    I just installed back to vista 32-bit to flash my 360 so I can't verify it, but Swissknife worked wonderfully. It let me format my 50 gb partition to fat32 which i'm guessing you're trying to do for the usbloader.

First access the disk manager on vista. Control panel>administrative tools>computer management then disk management is a tab on the left side. Once you click it you can see your hard drive on the bottom in a box with a navy top. Right click and choose shrink volume, and this will let you decide how big to make your partition for your usbloader.

Once this is done you will have an unformatted partition and you can download swissknife for free, right click the application's shortcut from the start menu and go to compatibility tab. Choose to run in XP SP2 mode. Then right click the shortcut again and "Run as Administrator". This should start it up and you can locate your external in usb devices (you may be prompted a bunch of times that free usb slots don't have a drive, just keep clicking okay).

Finally I believe it was very intuitive and you just find the unformatted partition and choose fat32, i clicked make active afterwards I don't know if that really matters.

Here's a great link on explanations of how to use the wbfs partition system so your wii will play backed up games. hxxp://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/205404-usb-loader-1-0-a.html
    I'm not sure if direct links are allowed here so i put hxxp instead of http

That should help!!! Nice thing is the utility will shrink the isos and take the unecessary empty space out like wiiscrubber!

Posts merged

swissknife does not have vista support but after some research i found you can get it to work using those methods

3. smash_brew

Member smash_brew I may or may not have fallen

United States
    Just use disc management. It works fine and it's free because it's part of windows.

4. jboy41

Newcomer jboy41 Newbie

United States
    Vista does not allow fat32 drives that are larger than 32gb, which is why i did all that annoying stuff. You can try doing it through command prompt but it doesnt work for me just ends up saying drive is too large for fat 32. The guide suggests you have a fat 32 drive before formatting to wbfs thats why I've been saying that :-)

5. Zalda
    OP

Member Zalda GBAtemp Fan

Denmark
    disk management doesn't work!
    i can't shrink my external harddrive, and i need to do that to partition my hd (right?))

6. DVS

Newcomer DVS Advanced Member

United States
    Here's a free partition program. hxxp://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Partition-Manager/3000-2248_4-10863346.html?tag=mncol
    The best free partition program out there and it works on Vista. Not sure if it works on the 64 bit version.

7. jboy41

Newcomer jboy41 Newbie

United States
    [​IMG] sorry to hear that hopefully his link works, once you get the new partition you should be good to go with my original guide.

8. Lexip;

Member Lexip; GBAtemp Fan

United States
    gparted linux boot disc really is the easiest way

9. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Okay, I too had the same problem like you Zalda, and this is how I solved it:

I just partitioned on a 32bit system, because I haven't found any way/program to do it on a 64bit system.
    I finally found a 64bit program, Paragon Hard Disk Manager or so, and it just started freaking out my PC and I almost broke my brandnew HD!
    So just do it on a 32bit system, I used Norton Partition Magic 8.0 (full version via Warez sites, demo version can't do anything!) and it worked like a charm.
    Sorry Zalda, no other way I think.

10. thc42O

Banned thc42O Banned

Canada
    use fat32format
    working on vista 64bit confirmed by me.

open cmd window
    Browse to where u extracted fat32format
    type fat32format driveletter

11. MicShadow

Member MicShadow GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    +1 to this

12. brx017

Newcomer brx017 Member

United States
    Ditto...

Or get your hands on a copy of Partition Magic. I just used it to split my 1TB, to dedicate 500GB for the wii. It'll let you do pretty much anything you want with your free disk space.