Which CFW should I use?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Bodhi, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Bodhi
    OP

Bodhi Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2019
    United States
    So I just got a Switch, it's on update 7.0.1 and the serial starts with XAW1001 (that's good, right?) - I'm interested in running back up games and homebrew emulators. What CFW option would you guys recommend? Is there a guide for the Switch similar to 3ds.guide that everyone trusts?

I don't care at all about getting banned, either, if that effects recommendations. This is an extra switch I bought refurbished just for modding, I really just want whatever is the most convenient to use, and I don't mind paying for something like sx pro if that's the best option

Last edited by Bodhi, Jun 18, 2019
  2. lemonadess

lemonadess Member

Newcomer
    Mar 10, 2008
    Follow this guide: https://guide.sdsetup.com/
    Atmosphere CFW is free and easy to use so I'd recommend that. Many homebrews support Atmosphere only.
    Just make a backup of your NAND before doing anything else and you'll be fine.

Exist2Resist, zxr750j, Bodhi and 4 others like this.
  3. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Yes, your Switch should be unpatched. Atmosphere CFW is highly recommended.

zxr750j and Bodhi like this.
  4. Iamapirate

Iamapirate GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2013
    I'm a noob and I just installed Atmosphere yesterday. Very easy and highly recommended.

Bodhi likes this.
  5. gamemasteru03

gamemasteru03 Nintendo nerd

Sep 18, 2016
    United States
    It depends what you want if you want overclocking, crash to reboot, amiibo emulation, better support from devs, and quicker updates then atmosphere. If you dont mind paying and want XCI support, ability to install NSP's from usb, and ability to load XCI files from a usb / hardrive then SXOS. There is no reason to really use reinx because it is just atmosphere but with way less features. I personally use SXOS but am planing to upgrade to atmosphere ounce 0.9.1 comes out and would recommend that you use atmosphere.

Bodhi likes this.
  6. HexadecimalMantis

HexadecimalMantis Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2019
    United States
    Atmosphere is a good choice. Easy to setup and upgrade. The devs usually update Atmosphere for new firmwares rather quickly too.

Bodhi likes this.
  7. Bodhi
    OP

Bodhi Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2019
    United States
    Thanks for the recommendations and info! I think I'm going to go with Atmosphere as my primary CFW for the extra features and support, and SX PRO / XCI for convenience when I want to try out large batches of games to see which ones are worth buying.

8. Nononoki

Nononoki Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2012
    Gambia, The
    Atmosphere with Kosmos package, there's no debate if you're a newbie

9. Ian095

Ian095 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 25, 2018
    United Kingdom
  10. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I've been using ReiNX. Nothing to configure. Everything in one package.

11. eskinner3742

eskinner3742 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    I've used ReiNX for a while, everything worked just fine until I updated to 6.2 on accident. I switched to atmosphere (kosmos) cause they had support for 6.2 first, and seem to have update support before ReiNX. Both are free and easy to use. I have had no issues with Homebrew apps on either, I did notice that some installed titles on ReiNX were broke on atmosphere, but that was just a reinstall to fix.

It's all personal preference. They both have unique features that may draw you to one over the other. Just do your research, give them both a try, and pick which one works best for you.