Gaming Wheres my games gone?

Twilight Loz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before returning my DSi to a shop, I copied all my games that I downloaded from the DSiWare to my SD Card. Once I got my 3DS, I popped my SD card in my 3ds, and now my 3ds is saying it couldn't find any titles.. (along those lines). I heard that it was possible to move a dsi app to a 3ds...

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Before returning my DSi to a shop, I copied all my games that I downloaded from the DSiWare to my SD Card. Once I got my 3DS, I popped my SD card in my 3ds, and now my 3ds is saying it couldn't find any titles.. (along those lines). I heard that it was possible to move a dsi app to a 3ds...
You have to get your DSi back immediately. The only way to move your DSi applications to your 3DS is via a program you download on the DSi and the 3DS and run simultaneously to synch the games onto your new system.

Reactions: 2 people

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
^^^What others have said. If it was as simple as just copying the games to an SD card, everyone would be pirating DSiWare games. Hope you can get your old DSi back.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That is pretty weird.
This is not weird.
The games you download on eshop with a DSi are memorized on your account in Nintendo Servers. The games have information of your DSi unique ID in them.

In order to transfer them to another console, you need to change the console ID present in the game file which tell which console can run the game (only Nintendo can change it), and to mark these games as "bought for the 3DS" in your account on Nintendo's server.

This process is done in a single pass by synchronizing the two consoles:
- You connect your DSi to eshop. (To connect to your account)
- Nintendo verify the history of games you bought with your DSi.
- The DSi reads the new console uniqueID (3DS).
- In your account, Nintendo marks the game you want to transfer as being bought by the new console ID (3DS), so you can't re-download it from eshop using the DSi.
- The ticket for that game is moved from the DSi to the 3DS.
- The game file's "linked console" information is changed to your 3DS uniqueID (it doesn't work on DSi anymore)
- The game is transfered to your 3DS and deleted from your DSi.

You can now re-download the games you own using your 3DS. They contains your 3DS uniqueID. You can't download them on the old DSi anymore.

You need the original DSi to transfer them as the console is used to recognize your account. (There's no login/password like a website or forums, the users are identified using the console's ID)
You can consider it the "console's account" more than "your personnal account".

Reactions: 2 people

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen questions like this before, especially people used to Sony/Microsoft's way of handling user accounts VS Nintendo's. I've even seen this with people selling their old white Wii for one of the new colors. A fair amount of people don't understand why Nintendo locks the content you buy to the console rather than to a user account.

When I've talked to people at one of the used game stores I frequent, it's also equally hard for some to understand that if you have say 2 kids with their own DSi you have to buy the game twice for both to play it on their systems.

Not everyone does research before selling their console to make sure their content is available later.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question myself. What if you downloaded the games from your DSi to SD card A, and then put in SD Card B and redownloaded them. Then with SD card A, you transferred the games to a 3DS. What happens if you put SD card B into the DSi? Do the games still boot up, or is there another measure?

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I have a question myself. What if you downloaded the games from your DSi to SD card A, and then put in SD Card B and redownloaded them. Then with SD card A, you transferred the games to a 3DS. What happens if you put SD card B into the DSi? Do the games still boot up, or is there another measure?
Um, try to re-read some of the previous posts. It's like this:

When you download games to your DSi, Nintendo checks your DSi for whatever codes/signatures it needs (say, 12345) and slaps that on the game you downloaded. That's how signing works. Now here's the thing. The game will only show up in your DSi IF the DSi's signature on the game and on the console match. It means the game on the SD card was downloaded and signed by the DSi it is currently on. If you take that SD card and plug it into another (DSi or 3DS), those consoles will refuse to recognize them because the signatures don't match.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah man... i cant get my dsi back now... is there anything else i could do?
Get a friend that has a DSi?

How is that going to help him?
I.... Don't really know.

Couldn't you just download the app mentioned earlier on a friend's DSi and tie your account to their DSi temporarily while you do the transfer? That would seem to make sense, mind you I'm just theorizing. Never owned a DSi or 3DS.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
ah man... i cant get my dsi back now... is there anything else i could do?
Get a friend that has a DSi?

How is that going to help him?
I.... Don't really know.

Couldn't you just download the app mentioned earlier on a friend's DSi and tie your account to their DSi temporarily while you do the transfer? That would seem to make sense, mind you I'm just theorizing. Never owned a DSi or 3DS.
Problem is that it's not a login/logout type of account.
It's a account is bound to your DS, until you either reset the account in eshop dsi shop or do a system reset.
You can't log in to a different accounts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool