mooglux

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hi there,

I know, all the informations are already available here in the forum, but i'm reading all the wii u related threads since over a week and the more i read, the more confused i get... So please be patient with me :)

There's a fabulous guide available for the 3DS which helped me installing a CFW and allow me to install homebrew. No more cart switching - yay

So now i'm dusting off my Wii U and looking into the possibilities.

My Wii U is on 5.5.1 and i have bought the game Zelda Phantom Hourglass for the DS, which is in the list.

So my questions are:

.) Is there a guide, how i can mod my Wii U?
.) Should i use Mocha CFW or CBHC?
- all i want to do is install games on a external HDD (don't really care if it's FAT32 or Wii U FS)
.) There are so many ways to install games, which one is the best? I think Wii U USB downloader is?
.) It is mentioned that one has to use different DNS Servers in order to prevent the Wii U from updating. What does this mean for online playing? Can i still play my games (original discs + installed on the Wii U) online or is this blocked too? If a new FW update comes out, would this prevent the modded wii u from playing online? (as it will certainly prevent the eshop from working)
.) What would happen, if there is a new Wii Update? Is there a possibility to remove all the mods and update the Wii U so it gets back to stock? (not that i'd plan to, but it's certainly nice to know)

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Layztexan
D

Deleted User

Is there a guide, how i can mod my Wii U?
Yep. https://github.com/FlimFlam69/WiiUTutorial/wiki

Should i use Mocha CFW or CBHC?
The choice is yours, though most people dial it down as to whether they want to simulate their console's storage (known as redNAND). Mocha can do this, CHBC cannot. Also take note that if the CHBC title is deleted while CHBC is set up, your console is bricked (i.e. as useful as a brick). Mocha is much safer as it does not install permanent patches into your system (they are gone as soon as you turn off your console), but it does take time to load.

all i want to do is install games on a external HDD (don't really care if it's FAT32 or Wii U FS)
Once again, you can use Mocha or CHBC to do this. It is all up to you.

There are so many ways to install games, which one is the best? I think Wii U USB downloader is?
I personally use wudump, which dumps game discs that are inserted into your console. These dumps can then be converted into installable titles using wud2app, and finally installed using WUP Installer. This does not cover downloading games from the eShop, though. You may wish to do a little more research into this topic.

It is mentioned that one has to use different DNS Servers in order to prevent the Wii U from updating. What does this mean for online playing? Can i still play my games (original discs + installed on the Wii U) online or is this blocked too? If a new FW update comes out, would this prevent the modded wii u from playing online? (as it will certainly prevent the eshop from working)
The point of using custom DNS servers is to stop your firmware from being updated, which may restrict your access to homebrew. You should still be able to play games online with this, it is just updates and eShop activities that are blocked.

What would happen, if there is a new Wii Update? Is there a possibility to remove all the mods and update the Wii U so it gets back to stock? (not that i'd plan to, but it's certainly nice to know)
None of these hacks are permanent (excluding Haxchi and CHBC, but those can be uninstalled). Also note that titles installed with WUP Installer also stick around on your console, but those can be simply removed using the console's System Settings.

I know, a lot of this is hard to take in at first, because of the large amount of information there is. Taking small steps makes your life easier. You don't have to bombard yourself with all the information at once.

Reactions: mooglux

mooglux

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thank you! This really helps me a lot!
I'm reading the guide right now and trying to decide if i should go for rednand or haxchi.

In the rednand section, it says that one of the advantages is, that it saves you from bricking your console when installing stuff to your Wii U. This brings up a few questions.

If my Wii is modded, and i install games to the USB HDD, from lets say Wii U download helper (seems to be the easiest way, besides installing my own Gamediscs), can it brick my Wii U?
If this is relatively safe though, i'm tending to prefer CBHC because of it's autoboot feature. I know, don't touch the app afterwards. Which method are you using?

I don't care about vWii mode, i still have my original Wii somewhere, but i prefer to play the games in HD with an emulator. As i said, I'm not planning to do anything too adventurous to my Wii U besides installing games, and i prefer to read guides and stuff very carefully before i do anything wrong :)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
there are two tools to dump a game disc.
The first one, from Fix94, is dumping the full disc in 1:1 mode (full clean ISO, dumped to SD or USB in multi 2GB files that you can merge to get the full .wud format, but it's not necessary).
Fix94 released a tool on computer which can decrypt and extract the wud (merged or not) to encrypted file format used by WUP installer.

Then, 2 days ago, someone merged these two tools into a single homebrew which can dump directly to SD card in encrypted file format, so you don't need a computer anymore.
Disc2app

I guess what most users are doing is :
1. install CBHC, set it to autoboot sysmenu.
2. get an HDD and format it to WiiU format (you can't use it for anything else, no partition, etc.)
3. get a game in encrypted format (disc2app or WiiU download helper) on your SD card.
4. install that game using "WUP installer y mod" to USB HDD.
5. launch it from WiiU main menu.

About redNAND, it's reading the internal memory copy located on SD card instead of the one located in the console's chipset.
But that's only for the chispet part. The data located on USB is accessible from both Real NAND chipset and redirected NAND on SD, unless you format your console to unlink the HDD from both modes.

The data on NAND is only seen when you don't launch redNAND
the data on redNAND is only seen when you launch redNAND
the data on USB is seen by both NAND and redNAND

Redirected NAND supposed to be a way to protect yourself from brick, by affecting only the copy of the NAND and not the real console's data. but when you touch the USB, it can be problematic, as both NAND and redNAND are using it.
for example, if you delete a game while you are in redNAND, the console will mark that game as deleted in it's internal database (located on redNAND).
but when you go back to real (system) NAND, that same game is still marked as installed, as your action only affected the NAND's copy, but the game's data on USB is already deleted, making conflicts and issues launching/reinstalling that game.
the console think you still have it and tries to launch it. it can't find the data (deleted) and you can't reinstall it (it think it's already installed).

So, to me (personal though only) redNAND is only useful if you intend to edit the console's internal memory to do any hacks (menu theming, file editing to understand how the console work, etc.) or development (cfw tests).
it's not useful for end user only wanting to play games from USB.

unless you don't want your real system to have pirated game ticket installed, in that case you can do all your game install on redNAND+USB and always boot directly to redNAND from CBHC->mocha->redNAND.
the game install information will be located only on the NAND copy located on SD card's hidden partition, and the game data on USB.
don't use that USB while in realNAND to keep your real console clean.

But some (most) users don't care about keeping their console clean of piracy, so do whatever you prefer.
having a "non clean" console is not an issue, just a preference. It doesn't ban you from online play, or prevent you from using your console.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: mooglux

leonmagnus99

Trophies
XP
Country
Iraq
i have gone with CBHC , i have put that DS title in a folder all the way to the right of the wii u menu.

is there any chance the DS title can go corrupt ? because if it does my console will brick 100% i presume.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
It can't get corrupted by itself. (if it does, you have a serious NAND integrity issue)
it's a eshop game, so to get corrupt it would need to be incorrectly downloaded/installed.
then it's content got replaced with cbhc code, so if cbhc works, the only way it can get corrupted is by editing it (installing an update incorrectly, maybe?).

CBHC itself prevent the title deletion and moving to USB, so you can't get it missing from NAND.

There are very small chance it will get corrupted and that you will brick.
the ONLY way still possible to brick is formatting the console. NEVER format before uninstalling CBHC!

what you can do is a NAND dump with that NDS game already installed, to be able to recover with hardmod one day, if needed.
if you make a NAND dump before installing the NDS game, you won't be able to restore NAND with hardmod, as the system.xml will tell the console to autoboot a missing NDS game. (the console has multiple chipsets, restoring only one is not a good brick prevention)

There's an active thread where users are making progress at dumping/restoring all chipsets at once.

Last edited by Cyan,

Layztexan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my questions are:

.) Is there a guide, how i can mod my Wii U?

Man I was in the same boat, this what I used and works perfect! And was easy to follow I have no idea who it is but it's really easy and worked the first time I did it hope this helps you and anyone else that might need some direction in this matter

I liked this method cause the games are actually on the Wii U home screen instead of having to go to loadline and try n load the from their

mooglux

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thank you guys! I've managed to install Haxchi and homebrew channel!

@Cyan: Thanks for the detailled explanation! No i can be sure i don't need Mocha CFW and Haxchi (and CBHC) is more than enogh for me!

Actually it was way easier than i've thoght! CreeperMarios guide has helped me a lot.
@Lazytexan: Thank you for the video, but it seems i'm already done :) But i'm sure it'll help someone else!

But it seems my external HDD died on me :( When i started to dump a game disc and install it to the USB a black screen with something like "You've removed your USB disk, you shouldn't do that..." appeared and it was no longer recognized. It was an old, powered HDD i used back in the days for my PS3. My 750GB 2,5" portable HDD isn't recognized either and i have no powered hub, so i'll just buy a 128GB or maybe even a 256GB USB Stick and use that. Takes less space and it'll surely suffice...

Maybe i'll come back with more questions if i have a new USB stick on wednesday :)

Reactions: Cyan

mooglux

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Finally, my new 500GB HDD has arrived, i've already copied a few games and they work perfectly, even online.

I do have a question though... This Mii guy that's shown on the screen (in the app circle after turning on the wii u) is now constantly saying something like "I'm currently playing: Homebrew Channel" including the app icon... -.-
Is this just an internal message, or can anyone (including nintendo) see this? i'm kinda worried and disabled my internet connection meanwhile... I don't know how to change what this little guy says? There are other miis too which are say things like "i realy like supre marioo" and other handwritten messages...

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally, my new 500GB HDD has arrived, i've already copied a few games and they work perfectly, even online.

I do have a question though... This Mii guy that's shown on the screen (in the app circle after turning on the wii u) is now constantly saying something like "I'm currently playing: Homebrew Channel" including the app icon... -.-
Is this just an internal message, or can anyone (including nintendo) see this? i'm kinda worried and disabled my internet connection meanwhile... I don't know how to change what this little guy says? There are other miis too which are say things like "i realy like supre marioo" and other handwritten messages...
Yeah, everyone can see. Who cares tho. Before WUP installer method everyone was playing "miimaker" (loadiine)

In other words. No adverse effects have come as a result yet. And with N moving on to switch it's likely it will stay that way.

BTW, I got my Zelda and Switch pre-ordered and I'm pumped! Just sayin

Last edited by Kafluke,

mikagami

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not internal... but it shows up as an unidentified game for everyone else. But this information is still transferred over the Nintendo Network so take that for what it's worth. Nintendo could blanket ban everyone on 3DS and Wii U who uses unidentified game IDs, but that'd require a little effort on their part.

Last edited by mikagami,

mooglux

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
BTW, I got my Zelda and Switch pre-ordered and I'm pumped! Just sayin

Mee too! Even Zelda CE, but unfortunately there's no Master Edition available where i'm from so it seems i'll miss out the switch case :- / I'm so hyped i can't stop but look for nintendo switch news the whole day :D

I'm also worrying about using the same NNID on the switch as i use the Wii U because of this "I'm playing homebrew channel" message... maybe i'll just create a new one...

. But this information is still transferred over the Nintendo Network so take that for what it's worth. Nintendo could blanket ban everyone on 3DS and Wii U who uses unidentified game IDs, but that'd require a little effort on their part.
Thanks! Then i'll just ignore it for now and turn my wifi connection back on.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's not internal... but it shows up as an unidentified game for everyone else. But this information is still transferred over the Nintendo Network so take that for what it's worth. Nintendo could blanket ban everyone on 3DS and Wii U who uses unidentified game IDs, but that'd require a little effort on their part.
They could not blanket ban everyone due to various laws around the world like here it is perfectly legal to backup and then play the backup of any game you legally own. How would they be able to tell I don't legally own that backup?? They can't so they can't ban me from playing my backups.

mikagami

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They could not blanket ban everyone due to various laws around the world like here it is perfectly legal to backup and then play the backup of any game you legally own. How would they be able to tell I don't legally own that backup?? They can't so they can't ban me from playing my backups.
I'm not saying it's probable or likely that they will, but don't be ignorant. You sign something called an "EULA", an end-user license agreement which allows Nintendo to terminate service at their discretion.

EDIT: And what I'm saying is, anytime you open a game that doesn't have a valid ID, this information is transferred over the Nintendo Network (this is how friends see what you're playing, how Nintendo gathers user statistics, crash reports, etc.). This, combined with other red flags on the account, could give Nintendo basis to blanket ban. You sign an EULA which grants them this right.

Last edited by mikagami,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not saying it's probable or likely that they will, but don't be ignorant. You sign something called an "EULA", an end-user license agreement which allows Nintendo to terminate service at their discretion.

EDIT: And what I'm saying is, anytime you open a game that doesn't have a valid ID, this information is transferred over the Nintendo Network (this is how friends see what you're playing, how Nintendo gathers user statistics, crash reports, etc.). This, combined with other red flags on the account, could give Nintendo basis to blanket ban. You sign an EULA which grants them this right.
While I get your point nintendo won't ban people because they will get their ass sued this has already happened to Sony and Microsoft here in Scotland as part of the EULA for both the PS3 and Xbox 360 stated it was illegal to modify you system in any way and would void the warranty. In Scotland it is legal to modify anything you own as long as the mod is not directly responsible for braking the system. Several people here who had modded their ps3/Xbox 360 were refused a repair free of charge even though they were in warranty and their faults were not connected to the mods they had done. They all sued both companies and won and the same would happen if Nintendo were to ban anyone for having a moded wiiu with backup games as like I said previously it's legal here to make backups of games you own and it's legal to use the backup in any way you possibly can.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr