Hacking Where do I start on getting on the Homebrew Scene?

keke_keke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a PSP, so I don't know where to start. I'm not lazily asking for a guide, because once I have the hardware and firmware, it's just a case of looking through the stickies to find the corresponding guide. Like...which is the generally preferred model to purchase? Which is easier/more foolproof to setup CFW? How do I know I won't be screwed over with the latest OFW being installed on my system? Ideally I'd use a PSP Go since it's HD-based, but I don't think they're fully hackable yet? Only partially or something, and there's a good chance the OFW will be too high. Any tips on where to start with all these models and methods? Thanks.

slayerdx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For homebrew you are gonna want to go to the 1000/2000 series. They have full Custom Firmware, while go and 3000's and Go's (and some 2000 if not mistaken) are only temporary CFW. Also 1000's can use pandora battery.

http://gbatemp.net/t268289-psp-hacking-modding-f-a-q
that is the best sticky for CFW. It literally lists everything.

Also if you wait till wensday (yayayay) I can tell you the OFW of the psp 3000 core from amazon.com

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
1000 - Fully hackable.
2000 - Fully or partially.
3000 - Partially
Go - Partially

And the lower the firmware it's on the better. You want at or below 5.03.

So yeah, getting an early 2000 model is the best, but those are the ones people like to hoarde...

Check out the FAQ sticky, it's got info on which limited-edition series are hackable or not, so you know some identifying marks (like the daxter special or the star wars special) to go after so you know the PSP is fully-hackable.

ars25

I like tacos and pie
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
keke_keke said:
Cool, I think I'll aim for a 2000. Is there any way of me ever knowing what firmware will be on the thing?
sadily no if you buy from the store you can check if you buy it from a swampmeet also be careful cause some are fully some are simi

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
If the firmware is above 5.03 it can be downgraded through various means, just getting one on 5.03 or less is ideal because if you get one on the latest firmware and it's only partially-hackable you're fucked, but if it's a fully-hackable that also means it can use a pandora battery to downgrade from any firmware.

As said, the FAQ has a list of which limited-edition models are known to have hackable motherboards.

keke_keke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I've looked around the internet and in stores and I've found a good enough deal in a local shop near me. The 1000s and 2000s are the same price. How common is the semi-hackable 2000? And are there many games or whatever out that would cause a previous owner to upgrade to the non-hackable firmware? Just need a bit of risk assessment.

keke_keke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I misread the sticky guide. I took the 6.37 situation to mean pandora batteries no longer worked, but it actually does work, it's the hacking part you can't do properly. Thanks for all the help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/8tRQnqT