what emulators to use?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by NotHere, May 7, 2014.

1. NotHere
    OP

NotHere Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    Hi all. Want to see if anyone with some knowledge on this can help me. I am looking for what emulator to install and use for some old school systems. I will tell you what System and what I use, and if you think there is a better let me know. Whatever system I don't mention what I use, that is what I need the help on most to find a working and I guess best Emulator thus far.

NES: FCEUX
    SNES: SNES9X
    GB/C/A: VBA
    Genesis: Genesis Plus
    Dreamcast: ?
    N64: ?
    PS1: ?
    PS2: ?
    GC: ?

Most inportant that I need help with is this one below.
    Arcade/MAME: ?
    Neo-Geo: ?
    Turbo Grafix: ?

Thanks so much for whoever can help me out.

PS. Would RetroArch be able to play MAME and NeoGeo and Turbo Grafix?

2. benac

benac Newbie

Newcomer
    May 7, 2014
    United States
    RetroArch is what I've been using lately for most of these. I'm no expert but here is my opinion:

NES: FCEUX or RetroArch. Both are really great and run pretty much flawlessly but I like the convenience of using RetroArch.

SNES: SNES9X or RetroArch. Both are really great and run pretty much flawlessly but I like the convenience of using RetroArch.

GB/C/A: VBA or RetroArch. Both are really great and run pretty much flawlessly but I like the convenience of using RetroArch.

Genesis: Genesis Plus or RetroArch. Both are really great and run pretty much flawlessly but I like the convenience of using RetroArch.

Dreamcast: To my knowledge non exist. The Wii doesn't have the power.

N64: Wii64 exists but hasn't been updated in forever (2010 I believe) and the project seems dead. As such it's really rough and doesn't play many N64 titles well. It's really funny how we have so many virtual console N64 games for the Wii but no good emulators.

PS1: PCSX-Revolution and WiiSX both exist but to my knowledge it runs into the same issues as the Wii64 emulator. It's more like a proof of concept and generally runs everything far too slow to enjoy. The Wii doesn't have the power to properly run PS1 games without some heavy optimization.

PS2: To my knowledge non exist. The Wii doesn't have the power.

GC: USB Loader GX plays Wii backups and GC backups wonderfully on Gamecube backwards compatible Wii systems.

Arcade/MAME: RetroArch has the option to emulate MAME but I haven't tested it. I have a feeling I might hit the same wall as I did with the Neo-Geo but generally I think MAME is supported better than the Neo-Geo home console.

Neo-Geo: RetroArch, however it's really hit or miss. Mostly miss at this time for me. I'm still experimenting with settings but as of now most games seem to crash the emulator. Currently I've only been able to play the first Metal Slug without any issues. Also I haven't been able to get any of the other Neo-Geo home console emulators to work.

Turbo Grafix: RetroArch plays TurboGrafx 16 and PC Engine CD perfectly. If you choose to play PC Engine CD games on RetroArch I will note that you must put the System Expansion Hu card roms into the system folder of the emulator or non of the games will work. I usually use RetroArch specifically for these and the other 8 and 16 Bit systems.

Goodluck!

3. mightymuffy

mightymuffy fatbaldpieeater

GBAtemp Patron
    mightymuffy is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 6, 2002
    Wigan, UK
    Replace FCEUGX, SNES9XGX & VBA GX with RetroArch. Really to keep everything under one hood you might as well do the same for Genesis/MD too - RetroArch is that good.... Keep FCEU & SNES9X for gun & mouse games only.
    N64 = Wii64, or better still the mod 'Not64' - plenty playable games, but don't expect miracles.
    PS1 = WiiSX - again don't expect miracles.
    PS2, DC, GC-emu? You're pulling my pisser son...:lol:

Re: your PS: RetroArch does indeed support Turbo Grafix and Neo Geo (not all Neo Geo though, bigger roms don't fit into memory.) Mame no, but Final Burn Alpha yes, surely the next best thing. There's also a standalone MAME emu called, er, MAME Wii, which'll run a decent amount of early stuff. Again, don't expect miracles! RetroArch/Final Burn is a far better option.

EDIT - Oooh, ninja'd! Mr Ninja: make sure you get the romset for the version of FBA RetroArch supports - no Neo Geo games over around 23Mb in size will work, but pretty much everything under that (zipped) does.... Also the input is broken on the NG Pocket (Color) in recent RA releases: replace the current core with the one from the 0.9.9 release to play those ;)

4. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
  5. benac

benac Newbie

Newcomer
    May 7, 2014
    United States
    Ooo, I'll try Not64.

Also thanks for the Neo-Geo tip...I'll give that a go.

6. NotHere
    OP

NotHere Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    TY for everyone help :). I will do this tonight :) and get back to you all :)

7. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    I don't think using RetroArch for Genesis and other Sega consoles is actually convenient at all. Whereas genplus-gx will generally handle your video options for you, if you want to achieve the same results in RetroArch you'll need to manually tweak them constantly depending on whether you're playing 256-wide Genesis, 320-wide Genesis, Master System or Game Gear. Add to that the wealth of options in genplus-gx (fine audio settings, 576p video for PAL games) which you don't have access to in RetroArch and the mystery control issue in RA and it's much better advised to use the upstream emulator.

I'll also add that WiiSX is well beyond a proof of concept. There's hundreds of games that are perfectly playable, and tens of games on Wii64 (or better, Not64). They're not as reliable as some of the emulators for older platforms, obviously, so you're advised to check the compatibility lists rather than just assume a game will work.