Hacking What Can I Delete from my SD Card?

mrnintendoguy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just trying to clean up my SD card and I'm wondering what's safe to delete and what isn't. I've attached a photo of the root of the SD card, also the wads folder is empty.

Attachments

• whatcanidelete.png
    whatcanidelete.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 267

fatherjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
what you 'can delete' depends on exactly what you're currently using/wanna use on the wii.
*You should always just move files to your PC - so you can reinstate them if there's any unexpected problems*
but at a glance I would offer:

.bin files
nand.bin &keys.bin are important - keep these stored somewhere for if you need them
nincfg.bin - this is the configuration settings for Nintendont (Gamecube games player)

(x6) .wad files on root - these normally can be removed once installed. You'll probably have a bunch of them in 'wad' folder as well.
(x6) text docs - not sure about 'APACHE-2.0' or 'installer' - but you can remove the other four
syscheck - can be removed

FOLDERS:
wad - usually holds .wad files for install, once done not needed until you're gonna uninstall em
vbagx - holds support files for Gameboy emulator
fceugx - holds support files for NES emulator
txtcodes AND codes - normally for game cheats (.gct)
bslug - files for brainslug (online play) I've never used/installed it so I dont know?
Riivolution - normally contains some .xml files for disc patching on the fly with Riivolution app
NeoGamma - holds support settings file for Neogamma app.
Private - think thats for titles you have saved to SD within the wii settings
apps - leave that one there! its all the apps you have in your Homebrew Channel

hope the above helps a little :)

Last edited by fatherjack,

mrnintendoguy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what you 'can delete' depends on exactly what you're currently using/wanna use on the wii.
*You should always just move files to your PC - so you can reinstate them if there's any unexpected problems*
but at a glance I would offer:

.bin files
nand.bin &keys.bin are important - keep these stored somewhere for if you need them
nincfg.bin - this is the configuration settings for Nintendont (Gamecube games player)

(x6) .wad files on root - these normally can be removed once installed. You'll probably have a bunch of them in 'wad' folder as well.
(x6) text docs - not sure about 'APACHE-2.0' or 'installer' - but you can remove the other four
syscheck - can be removed

FOLDERS:
wad - usually holds .wad files for install, once done not needed until you're gonna uninstall em
vbagx - holds support files for Gameboy emulator
fceugx - holds support files for NES emulator
txtcodes AND codes - normally for game cheats (.gct)
bslug - files for brainslug (online play) I've never used/installed it so I dont know?
Riivolution - normally contains some .xml files for disc patching on the fly with Riivolution app
NeoGamma - holds support settings file for Neogamma app.
Private - think thats for titles you have saved to SD within the wii settings
apps - leave that one there! its all the apps you have in your Homebrew Channel

hope the above helps a little :)
Thank you so much!

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bootmii, apps, and saves are also important. apps are your wii apps, bootmii is for bootmii obviously (not needed, so I'd just back it up), and saves are for nintendont (gamecube). most things can be deleted from your list, but that's what I noticed from a quick skim.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
U may not want to leave all the apps there. May not want to allow kids to have access to MMM for example
There's also one of Modmii's downloads (in classic download page 2) for a locked Categorii apps folder, so the apps you move to its separate folder for locked apps can only be accessed with a password

Edit: hey, I didn't get a notification for quoting myself! Wtf! lol jk

Last edited by XFlak,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's also one of Modmii's downloads (in classic download page 2) for a locked Categorii apps folder, so the apps you move to its separate folder for locked apps can only be accessed with a password

probably good if you have kids or someone else who might not know what they're doing with the system. I'm the only one who games in my house, so I don't have those sorts of problems. I'd only be afraid of the wii u and the ps4 probably brick or update. the 360 and other systems are on the latest firmware except for the vita/pstv (on 3.60).

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I also have live blocked on my jtag with parental settings. it uses a four digit code that I remember, so live can't be accessed to get me banned as well. ;)

mrnintendoguy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have any kids who'd be using it in the near future so I don't have to worry about that stuff, but I'll keep it in mind in case I let my cousins use it when I'm not watching them.

Reactions: XFlak

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1