Weird Issue with 16GB USB flash key

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by w_n_s, Aug 28, 2009.

Aug 28, 2009
  1. w_n_s
    OP

Newcomer w_n_s Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I bought a 16GB mini USB flash key from ebay (hong kong) for £10 . This was not intended to be used for a Wii, however, I was softmodding a Wii for my brother and didn't have a spare external harddrive enclosure handy, so thought I could use it as a temp.

I was able to format it using WBFS, and transfer games to it from my USB harddrive on my Wii.

I loaded Mario Kart, Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort and Tiger Woods 2009 onto the stick.

USB Loader 1.5 picks up the games
    USB Loader GX crashes with an error
    Coverfloader picks up the games

The only game which would actually boot was Wii Sports. All other games hung, shortly before or shortly after the welcome screen and wouldn't go any further. If I plug my external USB harddrive into the same Wii, all work fine - just not from this 16GB USB key. I have no special mixed partitions, the harddrive and the key are full WBFS and everything else is on the SD card.

Not a big issue, as I have an External USB enclosure coming in the post, but I was just wondering why it even gets so far before bombing out, and why it is even able to load a game at all (e.g. Wii Sports) and it doesn't crash for everything.

Weird. It would have been handy if it worked as a £10 16GB USB key is quite nifty if you are going between houses with a few games to play against your friends and family.

2. nicky041192

Member nicky041192 GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    install waninkokos cios rev 14. and update the usb loader gx. set 002 error on. for wii s[prts, you need to turn on alt.dol for the first time you run it. then disable it to play it. (there are guides for that). i believe mario karrt has problems woth usbloader (dont quote me on that.)

-nicky.

3. w_n_s
    OP

United Kingdom

As I mentioned above - the same softmodded Wii plays the games properly from a different USB Harddrive . I've soft modded 4 wii's successfully all with cios rev 14 [​IMG] all running Wii Sports Resort just fine after doing the alt.dol trick.

That wasn't my issue. My issue is this particular USB Key seems to work fine up to a point, before crashing. Was just wondering what the issue could be, especially when it seems to load Wii Sports 1 just fine.

4. gameshark

Member gameshark GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    the usb key is a fake one with just around 4gb real memory it shows all games but gives for most of them an dsi error or disc id error.
    if you are lucky one game will play.

5. w_n_s
    OP

United Kingdom

I'll fill it up with movies to see how much I can fit on it.

6. w_n_s
    OP

United Kingdom

Spot on mate - it's a fake one.

Oh well. Time to open a paypal resolution on this.