Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
First off, for once this isn't a joke/isn't making fun of someone else! This is serious! :O
Secondly, I am NOT in any way advertising this website, I just need your opinion content-wise.

This is a VERY BASIC website I'm making for a tech thing I'm doing, the design is absent and the submission forms are not as of yet working (need to do some things with the free webhost I'm using until I can make some cash for a domain). I'm just wondering if the content is...put together well enough for simple-folk to understand and such.

http://frankstechservice.99k.org/index.html

Again, there is absolutely no real design for it yet and I have yet to decide what it would look like, so if you wanna give some opinions/advice I'd appreciate it.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would add in a section for previous jobs and tutorials. Make the tutorials complicated enough for the average user but enough to show that you know what you are doing.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The tutorials will add more traffic to your site, any site that has awesome tutorials will get some traffic. The selling point is when the average person gets intimidated what needs to be done and your services are bam right in their face.

You want this to be long term, exchange discounts for testimonials and references. While you will be taking a hit- face it, most of this stuff will be made of profit regardless - in the long run it will help solidfy your reputation. For example, no one questions DeadlyFoez repair and if they do, he has an infinite number of people backing him up.

While your page looks like a craigslist add now, when you do add visuals, don't overdo it. The website people I work with have found out that too much visuals just look horrible and is a huge turn off for people. However, don't make it simple. Stuff that looks like it was crayoned in will be taken unprofessional.

Maybe a fast paced video demonstrating what is going to be done. Once again, go fast enough so it's not boring and it makes them feel intimidated to do it themselves but it will reflect on your professionalism. Make a real clean countertop; buy shock absorbing wrists, fill the video with intimidating but smart crap.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Is the website with just the white background or is it my browser acting up?
Anyway, it does seem pretty ok, you could always add a page for something like testimonials, like a comment or rating section where people hat have used your services could leave positive feedback for other people to see.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Anyway, it does seem pretty ok, you could always add a page for something like testimonials, like a comment or rating section where people hat have used your services could leave positive feedback for other people to see.

This is a VERY BASIC website I'm making for a tech thing I'm doing, the design is absent and the submission forms are not as of yet working (need to do some things with the free webhost I'm using until I can make some cash for a domain). I'm just wondering if the content is...put together well enough for simple-folk to understand and such.
;)
Anyways, yeah I'm not 100% done with it, just kinda...putting it out there for a few people I know to check out and stuff.

@Zetta, beautiful suggestions, thanks! Will definitely follow most if not all of it!

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

;)
Anyways, yeah I'm not 100% done with it, just kinda...putting it out there for a few people I know to check out and stuff.

@Zetta, beautiful suggestions, thanks! Will definitely follow most if not all of it!
Well, I know it's basic, just that my browser actually acts up sometimes so I couldn't be sure. xP

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Content wise I will leave it to others (as has probably been mentioned in the past we do not call me to make things look pretty) although I am adverse to using I even for a one man band.

You might as well start making the properly sorted site right now rather than have to back out at a later date.
You already have CSS in parts which is nice although not all of it is and if you are going with the centered theme for your entire site you might as well kick it to an external style script.

Equally I would consider converting it to php as you have a lot of repeated content (php might well be a programming language but php includes are easy to get sorted properly) and it would allow you to do things like make sure you have a consistent footer (with links to your contact pages). Granted this might not be ideal for your free host right now.

Also if you are going to leave a plain email rather than a contact form (which by the way have loads of nice examples available as php scripts) which is quite OK to do and if possible I tend to suggest doing so at least run it through some obfuscation software- http://www.albionresearch.com/misc/obfuscator.php (javascript is a client side thing so your host should allow it)

"make some money for the domain"
Domains are what 10 USD these days for a year these days? Hosting is one thing but if you can not afford a domain I do not suggest going into business for yourself.
Get one and assign a cname or some other redirect to your free host (any good registrar will allow it). It will at least allow you to get some business cards out there and start branding it a bit until you can get some proper hosting not to mention any good registrar will allow a couple of free email redirects so you can have people email you on a site registered to you (slim exceptions exist but if a tech business tells me to email them on a free webmail (even gmail) or ISP email red flags get sent up and if a tech business points me a free web host for their I regret the energy spent paying attention to them thus far).

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
OP
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
@Fast
Yeah, it's still a work in progress. I've started up with a CSS external style sheet today, I'm just sort of taking the site a step at a time. I'll incorporate some PHP at a later date, and a contact form later as well.

As for the money comment, I need some money for hosting and...other various things as well. This is just sort of a...start-up, testing stuff out, sticking my toes in the water kind of thing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1