Web apps vs Chrome apps

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by JinTrigger, Jun 11, 2013.

1. JinTrigger
    OP

JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Lunesta/Mysteria
    So I just got the chrome store web apps for two of the apps I use on the web. Those two are Tweetdeck and AirDroid. My thing is the chrome app and the webpage are the same thing...but both suggested I get the chrome app. Is it suppose to use less memory or something....whats the difference.

2. SifJar

SifJar Not a pirate

Apr 4, 2009
    Nope, there is little point in (current) Chrome apps, they are generally nothing more than links to a website, glorified bookmarks if you will. A few have offline capabilities (which I think require the app to be installed to work), but for sites which are intrinsically online apps (e.g. TweetDeck and AirDroid, both pretty useless offline), that's not a selling point.

However there are "packaged apps" which are more like full apps; they run in their own window and look more "native" and work completely offline. There are a couple in the Chrome Store, and more will be coming in the future. When they do, the current "apps" will be relegated to a "websites" section (so you'll be able to "install" websites, if for some strange reason that doesn't seem pointlessly redundant to you...).

3. JinTrigger
    OP

JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Lunesta/Mysteria
    I figured as much. Thanks for the clarification.