Hacking WAD's

DespizingU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I just got the Homebrew Channel installed on my Wii. And have only tried a few games on the SNES and Genesis emulators(which the games ran beautifully). So I haven't done much at all with Wii homebrew yet.

So, what my question is, there's a couple N64 games that I want to play. And these same games are available on the virtual console. So there should be .wad's of the games out there. Now, would it be better to play N64 roms on an emulator, or would it be better to play the .wad's? I'm guessing the .wad's as they should run at full speed right? Although I'm not sure if all N64 roms are running at full speed on the Wii's N64 emulator yet.

Also, I'm in the U.S. so I have an America Wii. Should I only be grabbing the NTSC-U .wad's, or will PAL .wad's not hurt my system? I read somewhere that it's possible for PAL .wad's to brick a u.s. Wii.

Thank you for any help. I'll really appreciate it.

soonepoon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well there isnt a decent N64 for the Wii out there (yet?)

And as for the region WADs, you can install PAL WADs without getting bricked but they
probably wont work since NTSC is simply another video standard. Maybe you can install Starfall
http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/Starfall which supports region free channels,
i havent tried that but guess that one will be your best bet

pieman202

Trophies
XP
Country
if you can waste some space get the n64 game as a channel if not then you can play off your sd card with the emulator.
you can use freethewads too make the wads region free but you should just go with the ntsc version if theres the option

DespizingU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much for the info guys! I'll just stick with the ntsc wads.

And pieman, what exactly do you mean by getting the N64 game as a channel? Would doing that make the game run at full speed? I didn't know you were able to make a game into an actual channel.

Thank you for the help.

jargus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Virtual Console and WiiWare games always appear as channels on the system menu. Installing a wad means getting the channel without purchasing it from the Shop Channel.

Hkari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Installing it as a wad would mean it would run at full speed all the time. I have heard though that N64 emulation on the Wii through Wii64 and such isn't very good, but I'm not completely sure. Also, you should try getting the wads as NTSC. PAL wads can't brick your Wii, but you can't use it without making your Wii region free with starfall or something. PAL wads also run at a different speed than NTSC, so they would run 17% faster or 17% slower (can't remember which).

DespizingU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, then NTSC wads I will definitely get then. There is Gradius Rebirth, that I'm only finding as a JPN. Now, the description says it's region free, so I hope that's true.

But anyways, I have one more question about an emulator. And I thought I would just ask here instead of making a new thread. I'm really wanting to play Metal Slug 1, 2, and 3. And by look at WiiBrew.org, the only emulator that can do that is the arcade emulator SDL Mame. But...down where it says Known Problems for Neo-Geo are:

- For large roms (13-20MB, CPS2, NEOGEO) It can take 30-60 minutes to load.

After the loading part, it plays at normal speed (85-90% of original speed without frameskip and without lags).

So, for the ones that have used this emulator. Is this true, some games of bigger size really take up to an hour to load? And are there any other Neo Geo emulators that WiiBrew isn't listing, that doesn't take this long to load some roms?

Thank you. You guys have helped me out a lot so far and I appreciate it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs