Hacking vWii IOS 236

jchillin111

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was told to install this, I tried to following a guide for the vWii, and the install failed.

I don't even know what it is, what it does, or if I even need it. my vWii currently has only 2 things installed onto it. Nintendont and Multimod Manager. Do I need to get IOS 236? Can someone explain it to me? I googled what it was and the description just really didn't click with me :\

Thanks for the help. I'm currently just trying to figure out what the hell is happening

(Can someone also expalin the Multimod Manager Tool? Thanks).

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
don't install it.
don't follow guide.
you don't need it, never.
that's just historical remains of very old hacking method. it's not used anymore, at all.

And about MultiModTool, I wouldn't suggest it either.
it's also old, and not well seen here because closed source and in GPL violation of homebrew community.
Also, it's a Wii app, not a vWii ! don't use it.

the only useful element in it for vWii would be the wad manager, but there are better alternatives.
I'd recommend this one instead : https://github.com/FIX94/Some-YAWMM-Mod/releases

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: jchillin111

jchillin111

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't install it.
don't follow guide.
you don't need it, never.
that's just historical remains of very old hacking method. it's not used anymore, at all.

And about MultiModTool, I wouldn't suggest it either.
it's also old, and not well seen here because closed source and in GPL violation of homebrew community.
Also, it's a Wii app, not a vWii ! don't use it.

the only useful element in it for vWii would be the wad manager, but there are better alternatives.
I'd recommend this one instead : https://github.com/FIX94/Some-YAWMM-Mod/releases
I already installed multi mod manager on my vwii! How do I get rid of it??

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
installed ?
are you sure it's "installed" into the vWii ?
didn't you just copied to SD card ? just delete it, or leave it and never use it. it's not "installed".

it's installed into the console if you ever see it as a channel on your system menu, and you used a WAD manager to install a WAD file for that program.

installation means copied into the internal memory of the console (not the SD), and to do that you use either a homebrew installer, or a wad manager. it depends the format it's released.
Maybe you installed a "forwarder channel", which is a semi-install. the channel is installed into the console, but it does not contain the program, only a shortcut to load the program located on SD card, this is what we call "forward" to the boot.dol on SD. The interest of forwarders is to launch homebrew directly from system menu without launching the homebrew channel. it's just a shortcut, for convenience only.

if you really installed a channel (full channel or forwarder channel), and want to delete it, launch the WAD manager again, select the WAD file from your SD that you want to work with, and instead of install select uninstall. it's strange to pick a wad on SD to uninstall a channel on the console but it's the safest way to prevent deleting a random or important system file by just browsing internal files yourself.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Ryccardo

jchillin111

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
installed ?
are you sure it's "installed" into the vWii ?
didn't you just copied to SD card ? just delete it, or leave it and never use it. it's not "installed".

it's installed into the console if you ever see it as a channel on your system menu, and you used a WAD manager to install a WAD file for that program.

installation means copied into the internal memory of the console (not the SD), and to do that you use either a homebrew installer, or a wad manager. it depends the format it's released.
Maybe you installed a "forwarder channel", which is a semi-install. the channel is installed into the console, but it does not contain the program, only a shortcut to load the program located on SD card, this is what we call "forward" to the boot.dol on SD. The interest of forwarders is to launch homebrew directly from system menu without launching the homebrew channel. it's just a shortcut, for convenience only.

if you really installed a channel (full channel or forwarder channel), and want to delete it, launch the WAD manager again, select the WAD file from your SD that you want to work with, and instead of install select uninstall. it's strange to pick a wad on SD to uninstall a channel on the console but it's the safest way to prevent deleting a random or important system file by just browsing internal files yourself.
To clear things up, heres what I did.

Heres the video guide I watched.

Start at 7 minutes in, that will show you the installation of the two tools.

Last edited by jchillin111,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
at "7 minutes", this is the installation of the "homebrew channel". this is good and what you want to all hacked wii.

you didn't "install" what the homebrew channel lists. The Homebrew Channel (HBC) lists all Homebrew applications located on your SD card in sd:/apps/ folder.
you can add or remove any homebrew you want in that folder, they are not "installed", just "present" on SD.

the Homebrew channel is installed on the console. you can launch it without the SD card.
homebrew in the /apps/ are not installed on the console. they are just listed by HBC ready to launch them when you want.

"Installed homebrew" would be if you see them at "7:23" in the video. on your Wii home menu.
like you can see, "the homebrew channel" is there, installed.

Last edited by Cyan,

jchillin111

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at "7 minutes", this is the installation of the "homebrew channel". this is good and what you want to all hacked wii.

you didn't "install" what the homebrew channel lists. The Homebrew Channel (HBC) lists all Homebrew applications located on your SD card in sd:/apps/ folder.
you can add or remove any homebrew you want in that folder, they are not "installed", just "present" on SD.

the Homebrew channel is installed on the console. you can launch it without the SD card.
homebrew in the /apps/ are not installed on the console. they are just listed by HBC ready to launch them when you want.

"Installed homebrew" would be if you see them at "7:23" in the video. on your Wii home menu.
Alright cool, so I could just remove these files off of my SD Card (Multimod and IOS 236)?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, you can do that.

if you just want homebrew (emulators, homebrew games) you don't need anything else.
if you want to play gamecube games from SD or USB, you don't need anything else either. (except of course the homebrew to do that, copied to SD)
if you want to play Wii games from USB, then you need to install a new patched system file into the console. (it will not appear on your home menu, it's a hidden system file, which allows redirection from Disc drive to USB to play Wii games from USB).

if you want, I'll give you a guide. if you don't need it, then don't install anymore IOS on your console.
in all cases, most youtube guides are outdated. don't follow them, and just ask here first.

jchillin111

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes, you can do that.

if you just want homebrew (emulators, homebrew games) you don't need anything else.
if you want to play gamecube games from SD or USB, you don't need anything else either. (except of course the homebrew to do that, copied to SD)
if you want to play Wii games from USB, then you need to install a new patched system file into the console. (it will not appear on your home menu, it's a hidden system file, which allows redirection from Disc drive to USB to play Wii games from USB).

if you want, I'll give you a guide. if you don't need it, then don't install anymore IOS on your console.
in all cases, most youtube guides are outdated. don't follow them, and just ask here first.
Yeah sure, playing Wii games is something I would enjoy doing, can you link me to that guide? thanks again

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-vwii-hacking-guide.425852/
start following the guide after the HBC install, as you already did all the other steps.

Dumping keys and dumping nand is recommended, but can be long. do at least the keys.
but doing everything is a good idea in case of issues in the future, you'll have necessary clean file to fix it.

follow the "installing cIOS 249/250" step, and skip anything about "installing IOS236". (the guide is old too, I'll have to fix it ... one day)

so, once you installed the cIOS (custom IOS), then all you need is choose one of the USB Loader (USBLoaderGX and Wiiflow are the last two still updated), and start putting games on your USB.
don't use USB Flash drives, these are NOT working. Use only real external HDD (rotating magnetic plates).
if your HDD is powered by USB, you NEED a y-cable ! no additional power = hdd not detected.

that's a lot of things to follow for WiiU and vWii, but it's necessary.

Last edited by Cyan,

jchillin111

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-definitive-vwii-hacking-guide.425852/
start following the guide after the HBC install, as you already did all the other steps.

Dumping keys and dumping nand is recommended, but can be long. do at least the keys.
but doing everything is a good idea in case of issues in the future, you'll have necessary clean file to fix it.

follow the "installing cIOS 249/250" step, and skip anything about "installing IOS236". (the guide is old too, I'll have to fix it ... one day)

so, once you installed the cIOS (custom IOS), then all you need is choose one of the USB Loader (USBLoaderGX and Wiiflow are the last two still updated), and start putting games on your USB.
don't use USB Flash drives, these are NOT working. Use only real external HDD (rotating magnetic plates).
if your HDD is powered by USB, you NEED a y-cable ! no additional power = hdd not detected.

that's a lot of things to follow for WiiU and vWii, but it's necessary.
OK gee thanks I'll check it out and follow the guide. Is there also a video guide of this? It would make me feel safer just because you could see exactly what someone is doing to their console with, and you can follow every last step down to the hair without messing up anything.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
there's no video guide. Like said above they can't be updated and fixed. text guide are better, and don't worry it's detailed enough.
what you can do (and should) is first read it all, to understand what you'll have to do before starting following each parts.

Sorry to ask, I know you said not to install IOS 236 on the vWii, but I don't understand why not. I'm just curious because I notice every guide I see them install d2x cIOS and IOS 236, and even the pinned vWii hacking guide on here does that you linked me to, but you said to skip it because it's outdated. I'm just wondering why it was originally on every guide, and now it's apparently useless. Totally just a curiosity thing, I just don't understand why it was considered important originally, and then why it was abandoned.

Thanks again.

-Jack
there's nothing wrong installing IOS236.
but it's useless, no homebrew will ever use it.
Like I said, it's a remnant of very early vWii hacking steps, it was needed to get a cIOS before installing other cIOS (d2x) and wad (wad manager used it to get internal access rights).

Now, all internal access rights are given directly by The Homebrew Channel and IOS58. No need of custom patched IOS36 installed into slot 236.
because that's what it is : cIOS236 is a patched version of IOS36: it patches the signature check, the internal access rights, and allow installation of new IOS.

the only useful part here is "installation of IOS".
it was useful up until this year, because if someone bricked his vWii by installing wrong IOS (example, following a Wii guide instead of vWii), that IOS was the only possibility to reinstall/fix other IOS, as long as he didn't install the Wii version of 236 too ! (some users did that ... finding illegal wad package of Wii and installing them in batch without knowing they shouldn't).

example : a user has issue with nintendont and gamecube games. He think the problem is IOS58 is wrong version, and replace it with Wii version (yeah, don't ask, lot of people did that ! downgrading IOS58 seemed a good idea to them).
as a result, HBC doesn't launch anymore, so you don't even get the "HBC internal rights" to launch homebrew and reinstall IOS58. without HBC, you couldn't get necessary internal rights, except if you already installed that cIOS and re-do the hacking exploit disc to launch a wad manager instead of hackmii installer, once in the wad manager reload the cIOS236 to get IOS installation rights, and there replace IOS58 with proper version.

It could be done without cIOS236 if the user installed a forwarder channel on his system. forwarders provide same internal rights than HBC.

But, since this year, there is a way to install vWii IOS directly from WiiU mode, without the need of IOS236 or forwarders. so this file is fully useless.
you can install it, if you think you'll mess your vWii system by randomly following bad and outdated youtube video tutorial which tells you to install wrong files (wii hacks, or dangerous old vWii hacks).

If you don't, that's not a problem, you can still fix your console, even from full brick, directly from WiiU mode.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: WallsAreLiquid

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16