Visual Boy Advance filtering

Discussion in 'GBA - Emulation' started by Flameblade, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Flameblade
    OP

Flameblade Newbie

Newcomer
    May 28, 2009
    I've been playing VBA GX on my Wii for a while now and have noticed considerable choppiness in certain games. I know this is simply a flaw in the optimisation of the software, and that's not what my question is about.
    I want to play these games on my PC with the regular VBA to avoid the choppiness, but I much prefer the way the games look filtered on the Wii, which seems to just be a light softening of the pixel edges. In the VBA GX video settings, the rendering options are simply called 'Filtered' and 'Unfiltered', with no description of the type of filtering happening.
    My question is, it is possible to replicate the filtering method of VBA GX in the regular VBA for PC? i.e. What kind of filtering does VBA GX actually use?

2. Bart Lemming

Bart Lemming Gēmu Bōi mikuro

Feb 25, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Mute City
    I don't know what kind of filtering VBS GX uses but the PC version of VBA can use any of the Kega Fusion filters. There are a lot to choose from if you scour the interwebs. Maybe you'll find one of those filters will do the job.

Or, on the other hand, maybe one day VBA GX will get help from one of the genius emulator coders out there and then the Wii will be a truly great emulation machine. *crosses fingers in vain hope...*

Anyway, good luck!

3. Flameblade
    OP

Flameblade Newbie

Newcomer
    May 28, 2009
    Ah, the basic Bilinear filtering in VBA-M looks like the right one. It was in the Video menu rather than the filters menu.