VirtualBox 4.2.6 never turns the USB camera off

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by the_randomizer, Jan 5, 2012.

1. the_randomizer
    OP

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    So I installed Unbuntu 11.10 because I like the feel and the overall stability of Linux (will use it to learn programming, too), so naturally, I installed VirtualBox because of how easy it is to get it up and running and didn't have any issues during that process. Well, I installed it, but there is something that really pisses me off about it, every time I load Unbuntu, the bloody USB webcam LED goes on, but as soon as I shut down Unbuntu, it goes off. Surely, there must be some way to prevent the USB webcam from turning on, is there not? Yes, I could unplug it, but I'd rather not wear out the cable and/or USB port every bloody time I want to use Linux. The webcam I have is a Microsoft LifeCam HD-5001, which obviously doesn't have this issue in the host OS (windows 7), but does in the guest OS. I've tried commands such as, echo 'SUSPEND_MODULES="uvcvideo"' | sudo tee /etc/pm/config.d/modules_unload... but nothing happened. I should note that I tried installing Ubuntu on VMWare, but it would never connect to the internet, much less my home network (tried both NAT and Bridged) , so that's why I made the switch to VirtualBox. Any suggestions, terminal commands?

2. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    Instead of attempting anything inside Ubuntu, you should be able to just disable USB devices for guest OSes entirely in the settings of VirtualBox.

3. the_randomizer
    OP

United States
    Wouldn't that render the keyboard/mouse unusable?

4. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    It's been a while since I used VirtualBox so I don't actually know the settings available anymore. The point is that you should have a look.

5. Squall Leonhart

Member Squall Leonhart GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    first, get your versions right

there is no Virtualbox 4.2.x (the installer script version is not the virtualbox version)

6. the_randomizer
    OP

United States
  7. Squall Leonhart

Member Squall Leonhart GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    i wasn't chiving you mate, it just helps us help you by knowing exactly what version is being used.

as it happens, the 4.1.x versions are so broken its not funny.