Video files not playing on wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by hcrguy55, Aug 18, 2013.

1. hcrguy55
    OP

hcrguy55 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    I've tried using mplayerce and wiimc and none of my video files (.mp4) work correctly. The sound works perfectly but the video is either chopped up, slow, or both. Both apps are up to date. Is there a setting somewhere that I need to config? I know the wii is limited to 480p but if my videos were 1080, would THAT be the cause of the problem? If so, what would be the solution to reducing the resolution on those files?

The wiimc forum isn't working for me so I can't search there unfortunately.

***Ok nevermind. Just saw an old thread which talks about having to re-encoding it. What are some ways of accomplishing this? THanks

2. EtahnJay144

EtahnJay144 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2013
    United States
    The wii cant come close to the power of downscaling video, but it will play it and it will be really choppy and only show a couple of frames at once. just make sure the resolution of the video you are trying to play isnt over 720x480

3. bagelnomnom

bagelnomnom Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2013
    United States
    720x576 is actually the max for the wii where it still actually plays fine. I would recommend the program Any Video Converter to re-encode you media.

4. dragonblood9999

dragonblood9999 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 27, 2007
    Canada
    i would use hand break to convert the videos and use the android preset.

i use it and the video files work fine on my tv media player,ps3 and wii

also if you the video you want to convert has subtitle(just not srt) you can burn in(hard encode them into the video)