Video Capture New 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Waygeek, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Waygeek
    OP

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    I'm looking at getting a Japanese N3DS. I would like to capture video from it. I live in Japan. I think I would prefer to buy the unit then bring it in some place for modding. Can anyone recommend a place in Tokyo, or what kind of capture card is best (if it's even possible on the small N3DS?)

I also saw someone mention that Gateways are usable on newer firmwares now? I haven't kept up with Gateway in about a year, though I do own one. So my understanding is that Gateways now work up to the firmware N3DS ships on? At least in Japan? Is there any way to not update the console upon startup and use them that way? The fellow below me with the Bricked N3DS seemed to have to update for some reason?

2. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    You're in Tokyo, I know there's a place in... dang what was that place called

Akihabara! That's it. There's a place in Akihabara where you can get your system modded with a capture card.

I haven't heard word on whether or not they accept the New 3DS though. I'll look it up for you, hold on.

EDIT:

3-14-10 Akihabara HF building 4F
    Sotokanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo
    Zip: 101-0021 Katy Co. Ltd.

Bingo, found the place. Though it says you should make a reservation before you visit. Here's the site, but it doesn't say anywhere that the New 3DS is accepted. Maybe email and ask? Or go down there if you have the time.

the_randomizer likes this.
  3. ShawnTRods

ShawnTRods GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    I have spoken to Katsukity. The new 3DS capture cards will be available around March.
    XL ones will be available first followed by normal one.

4. Waygeek
    OP

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    Wow that was fast haha cheers folks! So that place in Akiba does them but only for the old units presently? New 3DS available Q2 maybe? I can wait.

What about the gateway situation?

5. ShawnTRods

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Ya he is currently selling the older 3DS model and Xl with capture boards.
    The New N3DS XL will be available in march and probably also the non XL version sometime after that.

6. Waygeek
    OP

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    What about the Gateway+N3DS? I'm surprised they ever managed to get past 4.XX.

7. ShawnTRods

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Gateway will support 9.2
    N3DS currently has 9.2 I think. So you might want to buy and keep it for capture installation later.

8. Waygeek
    OP

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    Will? What does it support currently? So keep it offline and just use carts for now? Will be wanting to play BD: For the Sequel and Phoenix Wright 123 which thankfully have english in the JP versions.

9. ShawnTRods

Mar 26, 2011
    London
    Gateway only supports 4.5 firmware

10. Waygeek
    OP

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    Last time I checked in with it that seemed to be the case. Thought there had been advances though judging by the thread about the guy with the bricked N3DS.
    Looks like they might have kernel access now though?

Will I need to somehow find a unit with exactly 9.0/9.2? Any pointers on doing that (serials etc) or should all n3DS have 9.0/9.2?

11. Waygeek
    OP

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea
    Bump.

12. Waygeek
    OP

Waygeek GBAtemp Regular

May 14, 2013
    Seoul, Korea