Hardware Very big overheating

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So, some months now my laptop has been overheating pretty much when playing games for about half an hour(minecraft(not at max settings), sonic 4 episode 2). It reaches 65 degrees Celsius just by running chrome and when gaming it gets to 90-95 and sometimes at 100, when my laptop crashes(it has crashed ~4-6 times now).
Two weeks ago I opened the thing up, cleaned all the dust, got rid of the old thermal paste and put new good quality paste and bought a cooler(with one ventilator, but I put the heated place over it), but it only went down 5 degrees.I noticed that it overheats where the cpu and the motherboard are and that worries me, because it may end up being bricked.

The laptop is an acer aspire 5536g with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 QL-65 processor.I've seen people complain about this laptop on the internet in search for a solution, but I haven't found one.And that's why I'm posting this here. If you wnt, I can add an image of CPUID.

All help appreciated, Ilman

kirbymaster101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
USually overheating haopens because of alot of dust in the heatsink and fan. So I recommend researching how to disasemble your laptop and spray some compressed air to remvoe all the dust.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You probably broke the heatsink fan by spraying hair in it, if it spins to fast it won't operate again.

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think the problem is AMD's inefficient Athlon CPU.

If you can bear it, you should undervolt and underclock your processor.
If it runs games very slow without underclocking it, what happen if I do. That's why I won't underclock it.

You probably broke the heatsink fan by spraying hair in it, if it spins to fast it won't operate again.
I'm not a hairy tipe of person, so that's not very possible.
Also it was overheating before I tried to change the thermal paste, so that can't be it.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant, not hair, but air. Lmao... sorry my keyboard put in the extra h.. *sure it did*

When you spray it too hard it doesn't work anymore.

Have you tried feeling if it is working?

kirbymaster101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Umm put new thermal grease in your CPU?
Im running out of ideas lol

maybe also defrag and scan for viruses

(Usually in cases liek these its because of a lot of dust but now I have no clue wwhats wrong with your comp)

Like last month my laptop was running fps spikes for League of Legends. Drops 30 to 10 RANDOMLY.

Now after cleaning all the dust my laptop runs 30-40 fps constanlty and the lowest it ever droped was 20 fps. (Lots of attack,skills,etc)

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to open it up and make sure all of the heatsinks are clean, in a lot of cases, a bunch of grime gets built up on them and it can't get rid of the head as efficiently. Also, make sure you aren't blocking any of the vents during usage of the laptop..

After all of that is checked, you need to make sure you're not loaded down with trojans or other various viruses to make sure they aren't using excess CPU power. If you're overclocking in any manner, that could be the root of your problems, because that'll cause the CPU to be more hot than usual.

Also, you need to keep in mind that laptops are generally warmer than desktops, due to all of the parts being in such a compact place and what not.. The ambient temperature in the room you're using the laptop could effect the computer's temps as well, so if you're in a hot, humid room, that could be your issue.

List all of your recent hardware changes, and the programs that you normally have running. If you have an AV installed, I suggest closing it out during gaming and what not, because that'll eat up processing power. It's more than likely crashing due to the high temperatures, as a type of failsafe to avoid damage to the hardware. There's been a few times where my rig got too hot when I didn't tighten down the heatsink and fan on my CPU by accident (I was drinking, felt like changing the thermal paste, so yeah..) it overheated a few minutes after Windows booted up and shut down to avoid damage to the hardware.

I seen a GPU a few weeks ago, a GTX 260, with a completely clogged heatsink.. The person complained of it overheating and what not, and I just had to facepalm, lol.. Cleaned it out, replaced the thermal paste, and the thermal pads for the RAM chips, and it was running cooler than it ever had been.

Also, make sure you didn't bend or damage anything on the heatsink, because that can result in crappy efficiency when it comes to pulling heat off of the CPU/GPU.. Don't listen to the person telling you to defrag, because that isn't going to help your CPU issues.. I'd suggest backing up the files that you can't replace on the laptop, and doing a clean install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (32 if you have less than 4 GB of RAM) If you do that, then you can rule out and malicious software being the root of the problem.

Where is your HDD located within the laptop? Is it mounted anywhere near the CPU? Check the temperatures on that and let us know, the HDD could be faulty and could be putting off a lot more heat than normal.

If you've heard of people having issues with the same exact laptop you have, it could just be a design flaw.. How long have you had it? Were these issues present when you first bought it, or did they gradually start to happen? I'm willing to bet a design flaw within the casing of the laptop compromised the ability to keep itself cool.. It could be anything from the usage of crappy heat-sinks that were too small for the components, weak fans, or even just horrible airflow.

Also, it's kind of difficult to bend anything on a heatsink just by spraying it down with a can of compressed air.. I'm sure it's possible, but it'd have to be a strong airflow to bend the metal.. I've only damaged a few heatsinks in my time, and they were the crappy ones from the older revisions of the Xbox 360, such as Xenon (I did it on purpose, I wanted to see what would happen when I slammed the pieces of crap on concrete :D)

Jugarina

Trophies
Website
youngevity.com
XP
Country
United States
Did you check the vent opening where the hot air escapes past the metal and plastic case on the inside? When my temps go up I have to get some q-tips and rubbing alcohol and clean off the inside of the vent to get the temps to go down. This is the area past the fan. While I am cleaning It the q-tips turn black from the buildup and this is only after around 6-8 months of use. Compressed air is not enough and in most cases will either screw up your fan If you don't stop the blades from spinning or cause even more buildup which will really make It worse. If you only did air you didn't fix the cause.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The spam robots have become self aware