Hardware Hacking Homebrew using usb storage on pstv issues

etcwilliams

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im trying to get either usb spinning drive or usb flash drive to replace the main storage, after following Blaine Locklair's guide, using the sd2vita method and tech james usnmc method guide, i end up it asking to format the usb drive after following the last step on Blaine Locklair's guide, or using the tech james usbmc guide drive show up but then only vitashell is the only homebrew app showing, the rest that was copied over are gone. i need some help,

Anderxale

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a few days... if you haven't given up yet... I've definetly done this a few times! A few things:

ux0 is the location for vita installed games and homebrew. ux0 must mount at boot to just start playing game bubbles.

Large spin-up drives, also known as 3.5" HDD, can't mount at boot (yet). All other drives (including laptop sized spin-up 2.5" HDDs) that I've tried can mount on ux0 at boot.

If you want to use a 3.5 inch drive (large) then it needs to be mounted using vitashell every time the pstv turns on. All other drives can be used normally.

Both sizes of spin-up HDDs (3.5" and 2.5") require a powered drive adapter. Having a powered USB hub is also helpful for charging/using/pairing a controller with a drive connected.

These other drives don't need a powered USB adapter or hub:
Flash drives work fine.
USB to SD card adapters work fine.
USB to Sata adaper with a solid state HD works fine.

You can use YAMT or StorageMgr or USBMC, but combining them will cause a boot loop (that we can fix) so choose one. I suggest YAMT because it's much faster and can format the drive for you.

What kind of drive would you like to use?
Which drive mounter would you like to use?

I can help. :) Feel free to ask any questions if you don't understand what I wrote.

Last edited by Anderxale,
Reactions: meohsix

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im trying to get either usb spinning drive or usb flash drive to replace the main storage, after following Blaine Locklair's guide, using the sd2vita method and tech james usnmc method guide, i end up it asking to format the usb drive after following the last step on Blaine Locklair's guide, or using the tech james usbmc guide drive show up but then only vitashell is the only homebrew app showing, the rest that was copied over are gone. i need some help,

from the sound of it you didn't copy the hidden files over, under windows you have to go to control panel then file explorers options then uncheck hide protected operating system files

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a few days... if you haven't given up yet... I've definetly done this a few times! A few things:

ux0 is the location for vita installed games and homebrew. ux0 must mount at boot to just start playing game bubbles.

Large spin-up drives, also known as 3.5" HDD, can't mount at boot (yet). All other drives (including laptop sized spin-up 2.5" HDDs) that I've tried can mount on ux0 at boot.

If you want to use a 3.5 inch drive (large) then it needs to be mounted using vitashell every time the pstv turns on. All other drives can be used normally.

Both sizes of spin-up HDDs (3.5" and 2.5") require a powered USB hub. Having a powered USB hub is also helpful for charging/using/pairing a controller with a drive connected.

These other drives don't need a powered USB hub:
Flash drives work fine.
USB to SD card adapters work fine.
USB to Sata adaper with a solid state HD works fine.

You can use YAMT or StorageMgr or USBMC, but combining them will cause a boot loop (that we can fix) so choose one. I suggest YAMT because it's much faster and can format the drive for you.

What kind of drive would you like to use?
Which drive mounter would you like to use?

I can help. :) Feel free to ask any questions if you don't understand what I wrote.
didn't yamt have issues with usb or has that been fixed?

Reactions: Anderxale

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup