Using another DVD drive on PS2?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Blaze163, Sep 21, 2011.

Sep 21, 2011
  1. Blaze163
    OP

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Lali ho!

My beloved PS2 slim has seen better days, it seems. It's started stuttering during cutscenes, audio isn't properly synched in certain games (Dirge of Cerberus being a noteworthy offender) and it seems to be making more noise than once it did ever since it's been hacked with FreeMcBoot. Seems to me the laser is knackered, probably due to me being forced to use cheap disks.

But here's an idea. The PS2 can accept data sent via USB. I have a USB powered DVD drive. Which doesn't seem affected by the disks, it's working perfectly. So here's the obvious question. If I were to plug that DVD drive into the two USB ports on my PS2 (it uses both slots, one for power the other for data) and put a PS2 game into it, is there any way to actually play that game using that DVD drive? Is it possible?

2. Necron

Member Necron Lurking~

Chile
    Even I doubt if it is possible, the PS2 usb ports are 1.1, so expect a very slow gameplay, even worst that you are experiencing now. I would recomend to use OpenLoader, through SMB.

I forgot to mention that there is something even easier. Buy a new PS2 laser and voila.