use wifi but disable forced updates? Possible?

Discussion in 'Wii - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by vegeta4ss, Nov 26, 2008.

1. vegeta4ss
    OP

vegeta4ss GBAtemp Regular

Nov 16, 2008
    United States
    my wii is a 3.3u w the gamma loader and I would like to use wifi still for some of my original stuff but I am worried that an update like the 3.4 menu will be forced and nullify all my work. An update attempt from a game doesn't worry me as much as a random one being pushed out when I am not around.

So, is it possible to use wiiconnect24 but not catch any updates?

Or is the answer to my question to just keep updating and using workarounds if I want to use wifi?

I suppose I could leave off the gateway address and use the wii to dump discs but I still wanted to use some of the web enabled content.

2. vegeta4ss
    OP

vegeta4ss GBAtemp Regular

Nov 16, 2008
    United States
    nobody knows? I just wanna hook my wii back up on wifi but dont want an auto update installed without my permission.

3. FlatFrogger

FlatFrogger GBAtemp Regular

Apr 20, 2007
    There is no auto updates, I wouldnt worry about it until it happens.

4. Cyberxion

Cyberxion Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2008
    United States
    Are you sure? I always thought the Wii tried to update each time you set the Wifi up from scratch.

5. FlatFrogger

FlatFrogger GBAtemp Regular

Apr 20, 2007
    I can't remember my wii wanting to update after setting wifi up, I remember it performing a connection test but not updating. You could have a point there. I can't remember the wifi settings but I suppose you could disable the wireless on your router/AP once the connection test is done. It can't update if theres no connection.

But I think the TC is talking about general wifi usage/leaving it enabled when its in standby.

6. DaMoNL

DaMoNL Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 28, 2008
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    After setting up the wireless connection the Wii will test the connection.
    If it the connection is working it will show a message:

7. davedeluxe

davedeluxe GBAtemp Regular

Jan 8, 2009
    Gambia, The
    there aren't any auto-updates from nintendo. when a update is comming you get a message to install that update...

8. friknfrak

friknfrak Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2008
    United States
    FW v3.4 enables background updating (you don't see it coming) if WiiConnect24 is on (or wifi/lan connection is available).

Advise? Stay at (or downgrade to) FW v3.2

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice